Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra, CCSB duramax with EFI live tuned by Kory. Full delete. Installed everything this summer. I have ~26,000 miles on the truck, and about 3000 miles with the tune

I've noticed now that it is getting cooler that the truck clatters more when the engine is cold then it did bone stock. Its not bad but I notice it. It mostly goes away when it is up to full temp, but not fully. Switching tunes seems to make little to no difference in the clatter. I keep my tunes between the stock tune, tune 2 and tune 3, NEVER tune 4 or 5.

Is this typical for a deleted/tuned truck? I never noticed it with my tuned/deleted LBZ, but I was using a PPE tuner for it. I am running injector cleaner through it now and it seems to have helped, but it hasn't gone away completely. Any input would be helpful thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Response from PPEI: "This noise you are hearing is completely normal and mainly due to increased timing. This is perfectly safe for your vehicle as well. if it really bothers you we can adjust it slightly".

I assumed timing was why there was a sound change, but isn't this clatter predetonation of some kind? Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Response from PPEI: "This noise you are hearing is completely normal and mainly due to increased timing. This is perfectly safe for your vehicle as well. if it really bothers you we can adjust it slightly".

I assumed timing was why there was a sound change, but isn't this clatter predetonation of some kind? Thoughts?
My truck does it as well, not tuned by PPEI if that makes you feel better. I would also bet that taking all that mass off the engine may change the sounds you hear as well. As far as the predetonation, since the fuels not in the cylinder until the top of the stroke or slightly before on a diesel, and the engine fundamentally requires auto ignition via compression, i dont think its something to worry about. Injecting the fuel a little bit sooner will allow the fuel to burn at the top of the stroke for more power, rather than burn on the down stroke of the piston, but you also get some noise. As they said, if it bothers you they can detune it, but you will almost certainly lose power.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Some EFI tuners will add more timing that’s probably needed to add power, I don’t know about PPEI but I suspect they do.
Do you have the Edge Insight CS2 or CTS2 where you can monitor main injector timing to see what it’s running while idling.
The bigger the tune the higher the timing for most.
Are you using and fuel additives something with lubricity, when I don't mine will clatter a little more.

When the engine is cold the timing will be a little higher, same as your accelerating.
As the engine gets to operating temps the timing will go lower.
Main Injector Timing PID bottom left

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got pretty much the same setup as yours. I've noticed a little noisier idle than you would normally expect, too. I've started running PS Diesel Kleen with every fill up. It quiets the idle clatter down and gives me a nice mileage bump as well. It also seems to cut down on smoke when you have to flog it. I don't normally get any smoke but if I ever romp on it at low rpm, it'll roll some smoke until the boost pressure builds up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have the insight or any other monitor unfortunately. I tried the diesel Kleen over the weekend and the clatter is mostly gone, so as you suggested I think I will run a little fuel additive every fill up. Sounds like either way its not a huge deal. Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I've been using Diesel Kleen since 2003, its easy to find pretty much at any parts house, even Wal-Mart.
Buying in larger one gallon containers then putting in smaller bottles, will save you lots of $$$.
Mine usually runs about $1.25-$1.50 per 32 gallon tank.
There are other good brands of additives available.
I started using a mix of Diesel Kleen and Lucas around 2007.
I feel Lucas does a little better job with the injectors where DK gives you the cetane boost.
Lucas does nothing for mileage unless your injectors really needs a little more attention.
If DK has worked for you then stick with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts