Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:help Excessive pressure from the oil filler cap and pcv tube, enough to blow the cap off if I loosen it, and purplish/grey smoke, the kind that makes me want to fill the side of the truck full of chevron stickers and the box full of dead fish and birds. I look like such a planet killer when I stop at a light, it really pours out from both the exhaust and pcv tube. First thought, injectors! Well, I had the injectors tested, twice (and gm said they were replaced 2006), then had the compression tested. The garage stopped at the 4th cylinder because they broke all the glow plugs, but they said the #1 cylinder was 40psi and the others were 400psi. I'm not certain as to how competent they were with diesels, but he did know way more than I do. The truck has 190,000 Kilometers (115,000 miles), has tons of power, doesn't add or burn oil (as far as I can tell), oil doesn't smell, turbo blades are clean and tight, air filter is clean! It takes about twice the fuel it did before the smoking started, which is about a month after I bought it (about 5 months ago). I have no choice but to keep driving it, being my only vehicle. I want to fix it, please help!! Anyone heard of this problem? Anything I could try before having a rebuild, or is this really it for my truck? Thanks:help

·
Registered
731 Posts
What year is the truck? Excessive crank case pressure is normally caused by blow by. Air from the combustion chamber getting passed the rings.

·
born country
2,427 Posts
they broke the glow plugs off and you ran it after that? so you're telling me it was drove with metal in the cylinders, and you're puffing blue smoke? and one cylinder was 40psi and the rest were 400?
well that one cylinder either has a hole in it, or the rings are shot, and th other cyliinders are headed that way with broken glow plugs ran through them.

time for a new motor, also fill out your sig!

i sure hope i'm wrong, but i don't think i am. good luck!!!!!!!! :rockin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normal pressure

What year is the truck? Excessive crank case pressure is normally caused by blow by. Air from the combustion chamber getting passed the rings.
I heard that normal blow-by is 3-5%, and mine must be 30%. It'll choke you if you park beside me, so watch out! If the rings are gone/going, wouldn't I get fuel in the oil somehow, or does it add an equal amount of fuel to the oil it burns? I wish I had normal problems. So, to replace the rings, I assume it is a motor on a table, and not in my truck? Like a complete rebuild? Guess there is no way to fix that without removing the motor? Sorry, I'm not a good mechanic, forgive the silly questions, but I really need guidance as to my next move here. Mechanics at the garages already took me for 2200$ and offered no real solution, and couldn't diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glow plugs were installed

they broke the glow plugs off and you ran it after that? so you're telling me it was drove with metal in the cylinders, and you're puffing blue smoke? and one cylinder was 40psi and the rest were 400?
well that one cylinder either has a hole in it, or the rings are shot, and th other cyliinders are headed that way with broken glow plugs ran through them.

time for a new motor, also fill out your sig!

i sure hope i'm wrong, but i don't think i am. good luck!!!!!!!! :rockin
The garage put new plugs back in before I drove it, cost me a bunch too. They only tested 4, but one was 40psi, so I know that is bad, just don't know what it is, or what to fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hole in the piston,,,,doesn't sound like what I wanted to hear, but I'm letting it sink in. That is worse than rings for sure! Any chance the motor can be rebuilt, or did I go and mess it up by driving 20,000kms with a smokin motor? Can a test of some sort find a hole in the piston, or is that done by removing the head or oil pan? Geezz, what to do.

·
Registered
945 Posts
does the truck have a miss with only 40 psi in one cylinder it should miss. the smoke you see is oil getting in the cylinder and being burned.

·
Registered
877 Posts
40 psi of compression in a cylinder is crazy low which is obviously caused by blowby ( compression blowing by your piston) in this case it sounds like exactly what i did to my lbz aka putting a hole in your piston, as far as how far gone your block is at this point if youve driven it that much with what i think is your issue theres no telling but when we rebuilt mine nothing was damaged but i turned my truck off immediately after and the only time it was started was to load onto a trailer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The garage may have made a mistake,, they did break things (glow plugs), and couldn't find any other problem. The truck was at the garage for 2 weeks. It is possible they used a' low compression in 1 cyl' as a way to say 'we tried, but it's broken!'. They said they couldn't repair it, and couldn't tell me what the problem was other than low compression in 1of 4 cylinders, so I don't know?? The engine runs strong, has no miss, and I wouldn't even know it had a problem if it weren't for all the smoke, extra fuel and constant finger positioning from people beside me driving hybrids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back when I purchased the truck, the previous owner said something about diablo predator. I paid no attention to that at all, having no clue what he was saying, just assumed it was something that comes normaly on the truck, but after reading through these forums, it's all coming together! Diablo,,,,,,hole in piston,,,,,,trust me, I took good care of it,,,Predator,,,,,you have cash, right? Damn!

·
born country
2,427 Posts
yeah he may have gotten you on that man. i'm sorry to hear it.

you def have some issues, and yes it'll need to be pulled and rebuilt more than likely. 40 psi is very very bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I guess my plans for a 1700 mile round trip pulling a cargo trailer fully loaded again this coming week are just plain nuts, not to mention dangerous? I guess I just have to face it, the general concensus is a piston or ring issue, and not the 'just plug the little black hose back in'.
Thank you everyone for your info so far, much apreciated

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yea thats gotta be a hole. I doubt even with bad rings it would be that low but maybe I guess. Its too bad these arent as cheap to rebuild as a small block chevy. $300 and you could be back in business if it didnt require machining! I am not even going to guess what one of these would cost in parts to rebuild.

·
born country
2,427 Posts
truthfully if you're not gonna build one to make alot of hp/tq i'd look for a doner truck. it'd be a HELL of alot cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have considered, and looked for another engine, but the ones I found are very pricey (5000$+), and a scrapped truck is even more expensive. After locating, buying, and paying to have it installed, there is no assurance that it is going to work unless I can find a running truck. Anyone know of a good working, reasonably priced engine and mechanic in NS Canada? Yep, won't be fun, but worth looking around. Any ideas what a motor to motor transfer costs at an average garage?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What year truck is this?? There's a lly for sale with 60k and transmission for 3 grande I'n San Fran

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Oops sorry didn't see what year it was on my phone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.