Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have searched for your excessive regen recall and do not get a single hit. What year vehicle do you have? Can you provide any more info??

Thanks
I have a '17 and am in Canada, so I am not sure if its regional. However my coworker has the same recall on his '19

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

I searched the net, and also went to gm site and entered the vin and only have the heater cord listed. Mine is a 2019 (10/19 mfg date)

Maybe its a canada thing, or maybe they will post mine in a few days.

If you get it done, would sure like to hear back if it helps regen interval.

Regards,

·
Registered
169 Posts
*. Correction:. Mfg date 10/18. Good grief.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The full DEF tank is supposed to last 5000 miles!, I get at least 3000
Is there a GM pubiication someplace that says the full tank should last at least 5000 miles? I need some kind of authorized verification so the dealer will even do any kind of testing since I'm only getting 2500 miles on a 7 gallon tank. They say GM won't authorize any work to be done. I only get 1500 miles on a full tank when towing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a similar issue. I bought a 2020 3500 last Saturday. I've got 270 miles on it now and I've lost 2 bars on my Def tank gauge (so I'm down a quarter tank). If the tank was full when I left the dealership, and I'm hoping it wasn't, I'm on track to use 5 gals of Def fluid in 1,000 miles!!?? This has been around town driving, nothing being towed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got a similar issue. I bought a 2020 3500 last Saturday. I've got 270 miles on it now and I've lost 2 bars on my Def tank gauge (so I'm down a quarter tank). If the tank was full when I left the dealership, and I'm hoping it wasn't, I'm on track to use 5 gals of Def fluid in 1,000 miles!!?? This has been around town driving, nothing being towed.
I think that for those with a new vehicle, the first thing to do is to confirm that your def tank is full. Then keep good notes as to how many miles you are driving and how much def you need to add. The driving conditions also are important. More fuel used when towing will also consume more DEF.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think that for those with a new vehicle, the first thing to do is to confirm that your def tank is full. Then keep good notes as to how many miles you are driving and how much def you need to add. The driving conditions also are important. More fuel used when towing will also consume more DEF.
More important to keep track of how many gallons of fuel used as DEF consumption is directly related to that. GM claims 2% DEF to fuel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Known issue on the 2020's. Mine goes crazy showing full then half then everywhere in between. There is a flash that was supposed to fix it but it did not on mine. Elevated my issue to GM with formal letter required by my state and the manual to start the clock on the lemon laws. Currently it is waiting on a new def tank assy to ship in so it can be installed.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
More important to keep track of how many gallons of fuel used as DEF consumption is directly related to that. GM claims 2% DEF to fuel.
Do you know of a publication from GM that specifies 2% DEF to fuel usage? That would really help me in dealing with GM to get something done.
For everyone's information,and since the Dealer nor GM is doing anything about this issue so far, not even any kind of tests (since they say there is no usage specification), since I purchased the truck new, with 18502 miles on it as of now, I've used 1368.38 gallons of fuel and 42 gallons of DEF. Of course, that averages to 440.52 miles/gallon of DEF.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2019 2500HD with a known full DEF tank from dealer got 3750 miles before any warnings, this was with a combo pulling 4000 lbs TT and daily driving.
I'm now at 5100 miles and have not be able to add more then about 1.5 gallons in that time and no towing. I've been topping it off, perhaps I will stop and let it run down again to get a second calculation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
2019 with 9700 miles, 20% towing 8k lbs. I topped off at 500 miles to establish baseline. Filled twice since then and running 740 miles/gallon, and 1.7% of fuel IIRC.

You might want to rethink frequent topping off. DEF has a 2 year life, so you want to add at the lowest possible tank level to minimize the older material still in the tank that mixes with the new. Pretty sure my owners manual even warns against frequent topping off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You might want to rethink frequent topping off. DEF has a 2 year life, so you want to add at the lowest possible tank level to minimize the older material still in the tank that mixes with the new. Pretty sure my owners manual even warns against frequent topping off.
I follow this strategy as well. I wait until my DEF warning comes on then either fill with one 2.5 gallon container or 2 depending on how much driving I anticipate doing.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I always wait at least til the 1000 mile warning.
This seems to come somewhere between 18% and 23% on this truck.

I have also taken it all the way to the 'def tank empty' message, just to be able to say I did -- and to see what the 'xxxmiles to 65mph speed limit' message would look like :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
def tank empty' message,500 miles to 65mph speed limit' message is all I have ever seen since new at 18,000 miles , no warning in advance of that and most it has ever taken is 5.8 gallons. 3 dealers say thats the way it works, I call BS but does no good.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
def tank empty' message,500 miles to 65mph speed limit' message is all I have ever seen since new at 18,000 miles , no warning in advance of that and most it has ever taken is 5.8 gallons. 3 dealers say thats the way it works, I call BS but does no good.
You are correct.

Should also get a one time message that exhaust fluid range is down to 1000 miles.
(when my '18 gives this message, the DEF indicator will be somewhere between 18 and 22%)
At 300 miles or less, it should give another range remaining message, and below 300 miles it should repeat the message each time it is started. (which of course might be never, if on a road trip)
The above messages are all 'clearable'.

When it gets to 'empty' the 500 miles til speedlimit countdown display takes over the DIC.
When I tested this there did not seem (I couldn't find?) anyway to clear the message.
As soon as I filled the tank the message cleared.

(Yes, getting to the 'empty' level was intentional, just to see what the message looked like >:))

Owners manual (diesel supplement) has all the messages listed.
They did a lousy job of adding the info for the 2.8L diesel.

·
Registered
995 Posts
When it gets to 'empty' the 500 miles til speedlimit countdown display takes over the DIC.
When I tested this there did not seem (I couldn't find?) anyway to clear the message.

Very annoying when it takes over and the DIC becomes useless. I am going to try my local dealer and see what they say and then I guess call GM and start a complaint, the "500" miles take about 200 to to count down, just waiting for the day it goes straight to reduced speed?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

Very annoying when it takes over and the DIC becomes useless. I am going to try my local dealer and see what they say and then I guess call GM and start a complaint, the "500" miles take about 200 to to count down, just waiting for the day it goes straight to reduced speed?
Mine was, and is, working exactly as the 'book' says it is supposed too.
The countdown thing certainly annoys as it is intended too.

Still have all the dash gauges when this is going on so missing the extra stuff available on DIC isn't critical.

I normally wouldn't run it to empty, but curiosity got the best off me -- so it was intentional.

My post (that you quoted) was only intended to provide info about what might be expected. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that running to empty should be standard practice.

IMO the truck provided lots and lots of warning.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts