Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally been able to haul my enclosed trailer that is ~7000lbs for some distance since installing my Insight CTS and EGT probe and have found that at ~70mph my EGTs are running about 1100-1300* truck mods are in my signature.

My question is I know that aftermarket exhaust will help lower EGTs but will a 5" system run cooler EGTs then a 4"?
my plans right now are to order a system next week and I'm planning on going with the Diamond Eye quiet tone straight system with Diamond Eye down pipe, I'm really digging the 4" duals but would rather maximize my system them go with what looks the "coolest" to me.

A little towing info, During the "construction" season here in Minnesota I pull a trailer on a daily basis, some are out of town trips of 300+ miles but most is in town hauling.

·
Registered
584 Posts
An exhaust will definitely lower the temps. My truck averages 850-1050 degrees on flat ground towing about 7k.

·
Registered
472 Posts
1300egt isnt shit all day 24h a day.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
makes me wonder what my exhaust temp was running back then I towed stock. I recently towed my 12klb boat for the frist time after installing my exhaust and edge tuner. I was running 1200+ going up hills at ~55 mph. (stock tune)
Last year with stock exhaust and no tuner, I towed 300+ miles in the florida 90 degf heat to the Keys and back. Wonder what my exhaust temps were running at times then ... ?

·
Registered
472 Posts
i know i would do runs to colorado to utah over the rockymountains with my diablo on 85hp-powerpuck on 100hp loaded and i would stay @1300-1600egts the hole way climing . @the track,racning ,fore years like that before i realy new any better and didnt hurt a dam thing ..hell that lbz lasted 180,000 miles before i blew holes in the pistons.from a boost leak. thats why i always chime in on anybody that post about egt#s cuase they dont now shit or they wouldnt be on here saying they dont like hitn 1200egt.thier rated for that all day long.good matinance...gose along way

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I put the DP and front this winter and the last 2 weeks have been pulling a trailer with 9k worth of rock for my driveway, at 55mph I am at 750 on the flats, and around 900 going up small hills, at wot from 15-65 i hit 1200 and no more, when I am empty @ 65mph 600-700, I currently have the programmer on 85hp

·
Registered
206 Posts
Get rid of you factory exhaust and your egts will drop 300-400 degrees. Will not matter if it is 4 or 5 inch.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Better safe than sorry IMO. I wouldn't go over 1300* while towing, but up to that temp, I wouldn't worry. A 4" exhaust with a muffler will still be quiet enough for towing and you should see a significant drop in egt temps. If your worried about keeping it stock or noise, you could get a water meth kit for about the same price as a good exhaust, and have about the same reduction in temps, with a bigger hp boost. Just a thought. Btw I think "thestepchild" did a good writeup about using water/meth.

·
Vanned this place
8,122 Posts
Guess I'm a wimp. I tow based off egt's and try to keep 'em 3 digit.

Usually not a problem. In the hills, yea it gets over 1000, but flat-ish ground, no matter what I'm towing, I'm running 60mph or higher and egts are under 1000. I have the alarm on the 6 gun set at 1200 or 1250, cant remember I dont think I've ever heard it go off.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Guess I'm a wimp. I tow based off egt's and try to keep 'em 3 digit.

Usually not a problem. In the hills, yea it gets over 1000, but flat-ish ground, no matter what I'm towing, I'm running 60mph or higher and egts are under 1000. I have the alarm on the 6 gun set at 1200 or 1250, cant remember I dont think I've ever heard it go off.[/Q well i hit 1000egt every dam light i go through.:gearjamin. and towing 15,000lb rv+with a truck that ways 12,600lb going 80-85 (hell i do 90-95 if im on my way home from a job comming from newyork pulln 24hrs stright through) belive it or not but them egt#s are doin 90 only 850-1000 older motor. but going up any rolln hills id hit 1300-1500egts all the time 10 mile passes at a time ..i wouldnt say your a wimp just a soft driver.good hell why get a tunner. un less your a soft driver and keep em at 1200egt. it dont realy runn good till 1350+egt any way dam sure not going to beat any furd or dodge at 1200egt cut of.but i know your playn it safe i got ya......

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
sounds like you care not for anyone else towing at that speed
me or any other trucker on the road at nite.drives just fine ive had two blow outs doin 80-90 on my truck and trailer isnt like i killed anyone or eveen came close to it..geterdone.its ok i know your the "safedriver"

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
me or any other trucker on the road at nite.drives just fine ive had two blow outs doin 80-90 on my truck and trailer isnt like i killed anyone or eveen came close to it..geterdone.its ok i know your the "safedriver"
I leave work at 02:30 every night and drive 45miles on the interstate 75, I see lots of safe semi drivers and lots of stupid wrecked drivers with trailers flipped and taking bystanders out with them. just hope I dont see you on my road

·
Registered
472 Posts
well im not stupid ....im not going that fast with a road full of people.hell most of the time im draftn behind a semi doing that speed. when you been gone for 3months workn 7/12s..im ready to go home to the wife and 4kids,,lets just say 90isnt fast enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts