Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever see the nuts shear off the flathead bolts that connect to resonator pipe to the muffler? Two of mine did. Dealer wants $30.32 for (2) nuts and bolts!

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
514 Posts
Pound the studs out and put regular SS bolts in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the plan. Having a hell of time getting the bolts out though. Can anyone who has removed them tell if there are threaded into either of the flanges or is it smooth through flanges until exposed threads for nut?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I believe they are studs. I just broke mine off trying to remove the nuts, punched out the remnant in the flange. Then drilled the holes and used bolts and nuts. The cost was something like $1.75 to do that.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That's the plan. Having a hell of time getting the bolts out though. Can anyone who has removed them tell if there are threaded into either of the flanges or is it smooth through flanges until exposed threads for nut?
They are true studs. They have splines to keep them from spinning. I was able to punch out two of the three. However, the third one i straight up had to drill out. Start with a small bit and work your way up.
Ground the head off and still couldnt punch it.

I'll be using grade 8's and the three bolt flange i drilled out to 7/16" IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts