Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just looking to see how practical/effective it would be to add an Exhaust Brake to my 2010 GMC LMM? Has anyone put one on and if so whats your thoughts and opinions on it?

Thanks in advance.

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
EFI tuned turbo brakes work fairly well and are basically free when you purchase tuning

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
The Allison does a good job in Tow Haul mode while decending grades. You probably don't need one, unless you have a very large trailer and drive in mountain areas most of the time.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you really want or need one I agree with going EfI live,the cost of the aftermarket brake costs as much EFI live and you get many more advantages too.Like DPF and ERG delete and that = several MPG gains.Not to mention horse power.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The turbo break can be installed in the LMM without putting in EFI live if you know the right guy and it is on 100% when the switch is turned on. I had this before my EFI live and I have to say that this type of turbo break is stronger that the one I have built into my EFI live. When I am towing now with my tow tune and there is a large hill to descend I still flip my turbo break switch which override the turbo break on the EFI live tune.

Later
Phil

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well heres the scenario guys most of the towing is going to be with a 30' Fifth Wheel with a dry weight of 11,500. I will be doing most of the traveling out west Montana, Colorado, Wyoming etc. Does this make it necessary for me to buy one?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not necessary but it would be a hell of a good addition. I went threw East and West glacier last year and the hills by St. Mary's Lake I think it is named were a good pull for mine with a 36ft 5th wheel, truck and trailer 22700lbs. Coming down I was glad I had the turbo break and it is not as powerful as the exhaust break. My feeling is if it makes me towing safer for my family and other people sharing the road it is a good idea. I hate seeing those guys pulling 36ft 5th wheels with just a 1500 or a 1500HD makes em scared.

Later
Phil

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you really want or need one I agree with going EfI live,the cost of the aftermarket brake costs as much EFI live and you get many more advantages too.Like DPF and ERG delete and that = several MPG gains.Not to mention horse power.
The difference for me towing without to with EFI live was only 1mpg more, but the power was most appreciated. I think Nick's over 8000lbs tune is only 40 or 60hp but it makes a difference. I also think that the mileage was not as high because the tuning is set up to hold the shift points longer thus keeping the RPM's up keeping you in the power band for towing. Which is really the point of the tow tune. It is not a tow/mileage tune LOL too bad.

Later
Phil

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help so far guys...Phil you think I would be ok with just going the tuner route then? What other advantages are there to a tuner versus just a straight exhaust brake?

·
Registered
616 Posts
The turbo break can be installed in the LMM without putting in EFI live if you know the right guy

Later
Phil
Could you elaborate please? What Turbo Brake are you referring to? What is involved? Do you have a link to it?

Thanks.

·
oldschool
3,351 Posts
Thanks for the help so far guys...Phil you think I would be ok with just going the tuner route then? What other advantages are there to a tuner versus just a straight exhaust brake?
mine works great,I use the gear selector switch to drop it down a few gears and it holds really well but its not as aggressive as an exhaust brake

I would recommend an EFI DSP5 so you can have 5 different tunes to use. I have a light and a heavy tow tune with turbo brake, daily driver, and 2 horsepower tunes but you can get whatever you want

·
Registered
895 Posts
Could you elaborate please? What Turbo Brake are you referring to? What is involved? Do you have a link to it?

Thanks.
It is the turbo break LOL wired into the factory ECM. I do not know if this had to be programed in or the programing was there already and is just needed a switch for on and off. All there is on mine is a toggle switch on and off and two wires into the factory harness, I do not know what pins. I did not do this it was done by friends in high places LOL GM places. Sorry there is no link other than maybe a post I started when I had it put in.

Later
Phil

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think the tuner route with the tow tunes as someone mentioned would server you well. I too pull a 13K + 5th wheel and didn't need the extra power but boy that tow tune for over 8K lbs is nice. The turbo break as some one said is not as aggressive but it does make a difference. There was someone on here with a video going down hill with either a pac break or a banks speed break I can not remember. I wanted the speed break for mine but the dealerships said it would void warranty so I had the turbo break put in as a Guinea pig and it worked. I then said piss on the warranty and went with EFI live from Nick at duramaxtuner and the DSP5 with a stock, two tow tunes one for over 8K and one for under 8K a daily driver at 100hp I think and a hotter tune at 125 or 135hp...I rarely use that one. I am so glad I got rid of the DPF even though I may have problems if warranty issues arise. I gained MPG both towing and unloaded and also the fun factor 135hp if I want it.

good Luck
Phil

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not trying to be nosey Phil but roughly what is the total cost of all this going to be? I believe I will probably do what you did sounds like the best of all worlds. What MPG's are you getting loaded/unloaded? Im at 17 unloaded but again i just turned over 4300 miles on the truck so it's not "broke in". Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was getting between 17 and 19 unloaded then the DPF would hit and drop back to 17mpg. I did one long trip and went to 22mpg us gallon and 25.6 mpg imperial. So I guess you would say between 3 and 5 mpg increase. Loaded I only gained 1 to 1.5 mpg us gallon towing but that was nice. My truck has 37K on it.

I got my EFI live from DURAMAXTUNER.COM | Custom Tuned DSP5 ECM's, Custom Tuning + More. Fast, Friendly & Affordable! but there are several good choices of vendors from this site and I hear that people are very happy with each of them. I do not want to take anything away from the other guys as I am sure they are top notch as well but my experience with Nick and his guys was great. Fast, they are all mostly the same price, great customer service and help even being here in Canada. I got the tuned ECM so I could keep my factory stock one, a DSP 5 switch I wanted 5 tunes I really only use three and the Edge CTS gauge and an EGR plate. I think it was His price is on the site but is was like $908 and tax and shipping then brokerage fees.
I got my exhaust all the way from Texas from Nate at https://performancetruckproducts.com and had the same great experience and again there are many vendors here that will help you. I went with the 4" all stainless MBRP turbo back I didn't want it too loud while towing and I am happy with my choice. This is a bit harder as there are so many choices and good products. You will only find 100's of threads discussing the size, duals vs single, and which one is better LOL...Good luck.
I think that is about it happy shopping and good luck making a decision it took me almost 3 years to delete my DPF but I think I made the right decision. Oh total cost for me in Canada after shipping, brokerage, exchange and parts was just over 2K. I went from 550kms a tank to 770 kms a tank on the highway. To me that is about $28 bucks worth of fuel 71 tanks and it is paid for LOL.

Later
Phil

1 - 20 of 29 Posts