Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about adding an exhaust brake to my 08 duramax anyone out there with some pros and cons to this

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
With the stock or slightly over stock turbo on your 08 turbo braking is strong. If I were you I would seek out emissions legal tuning with a strong turbo brake option.

Reactions: darmah59

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the stock or slightly over stock turbo on your 08 turbo braking is strong. If I were you I would seek out emissions legal tuning with a strong turbo brake option.
So ur sayn I can just get a tune that will have an exhaust brake option and I won't have to change any parts.

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
It works better than an exhaust brake. An exhaust brake just closes down the exhaust creating back pressure. The turbo brake does the same but as it closes off the exhaust it will also spool up the turbo building a little boost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And it's just a software tune that I can buy and reprogram what I already have? If so do u have a link or any information on this that I can look up?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
It works better than an exhaust brake. An exhaust brake just closes down the exhaust creating back pressure. The turbo brake does the same but as it closes off the exhaust it will also spool up the turbo building a little boost.
Not sure how this works as I believe the "turbo" brake uses a vane system to control backpressure.
If the brake closes down that decreases exhaust flow so how can the turbo spool up and make boost and why would you want it to? You are off the accelerator already and maybe on the brakes.
Maybe you can explain it to me please.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure how this works as I believe the "turbo" brake uses a vane system to control backpressure.
If the brake closes down that decreases exhaust flow so how can the turbo spool up and make boost and why would you want it to? You are off the accelerator already and maybe on the brakes.
Maybe you can explain it to me please.
[/QUO
I don't know anything about this I'm interested in it tho. I need some sort of exhaust brake for towing heavy loads

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
When the veins in the turbo close it is like putting your thumb over the end of a hose.
The resulting high pressure stream of exhaust is directed at the turbine wheel. I would see as much as 5lbs boost with turbo brake on my LBZ with a Danville 3794bmw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok but my question is how does this work is it just a simple buy a programmer and install it or what? I understand how the turbo creates back pressure and all that.Do u have any information on this a link or website? I'm interested in this sounds like what I need. The only thing I seen is where u replace ur down pipe and the new one has an exhaust brake n it that works off of a switch that I can mount wherever

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
Some ECMs already have the program in them. The programming is there incase the ECM was used incase the ECM was installed in a larger truck such as a Topkick or 60 series truck. Not sure if the 08 ECM has this program in it but if it does there is a thread either here or on the DD explains how to access it.
If not it can be done through EFI Live or Banks makes a stand alone box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some ECMs already have the program in them. The programming is there incase the ECM was used incase the ECM was installed in a larger truck such as a Topkick or 60 series truck. Not sure if the 08 ECM has this program in it but if it does there is a thread either here or on the DD explains how to access it.
If not it can be done through EFI Live or Banks makes a stand alone box.

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
The Duramax Diesels site. This site is more fun that one however is more technical.
Do a surch on both I am sure you'll find what you want...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the BD Diesel exhaust brake on my 2006 LBZ and it worked quite well, especially when using the cruise control on long downgrades. The only downside I now have is that the Edge CTS will not work with this unit plugged in. The factory exhaust brake option as published on this site and DD (grounding pin #53 in the ECM) works for many however in my case it didn't work because I apparently don't have the correct OS version flashed into my ECM and I don't know how to get it upgraded or changed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
U have an 06 with a factor exhaust brake? Do u have a link or website on where u got ur BD exhaust brake from

·
Registered
12 Posts
The link for BD Diesel is included in my post. Just click on the link. The factory brake being referred to has many posts here. One of them is Turbo Brake for the LMM- IT WORKS!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I went back and clicked on it awesome thanks. Ur having to unplug ur CTS and plug this n to use it right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The brake plugs into the two large wiring plugs under the hood and basically adds a small computer into the mix. When I plug the CTS2 into the OBD port I get a message that says the port is already being used by another computer. This conflict is mentioned on the BD product page. Right now, the only time I plug in the exhaust brake is when I am towing, of course that's the most important time when I'd like to monitor with the CTS2. You can download the installation manual from BD to see how it plugs in. Not too hard to do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts