Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Crew Cab LT, and it came factory with the Exhaust Brake. I'm wondering if anyone uses it for daily driving/braking? I love using it when towing. Does anyone else use theirs?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I use mine everyday. Works awesome even without a trailer or in tow/haul mode. Also keeps the actuator from gunking up and sticking.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine gets turned on every time I get in my truck. I live in a hilly area and absolutely love it. :thumb

·
Registered
241 Posts
I run mine everytime it moves. It helps save the brakes some too

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Do ya have to be in tow mode for it to work?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nope it works without being in tow haul its just not as aggressive.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Ok thanks I think I tried it once but was in tow mode I'll have to check that out thanks

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
use it almost every time i slow down...really handy, and it sounds cool too!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep just push the button you will have to turn it on everytime you start the truck though

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
yeah just hit the button and its on...i don't know if it's true but it seems like if you tap the brakes it works quicker...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah just hit the button and its on...i don't know if it's true but it seems like if you tap the brakes it works quicker...
I read somewhere in the manual that the exhaust brake is more active when braking in general.

I push that little button every time I climb in my truck, I think it's one of the best options GM could have put a HD truck, plush that turbo sounds awesome when it activates:thumb

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only nut out there that uses it like a religion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love the break, just dont use it on icy roads. You will be side ways when it kicks in, learned from experience.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I read somewhere in the manual that the exhaust brake is more active when braking in general.

I push that little button every time I climb in my truck, I think it's one of the best options GM could have put a HD truck, plush that turbo sounds awesome when it activates:thumb

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only nut out there that uses it like a religion.
And the more aggressively you push the brakes, the more it tries to help.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I like it, works pretty good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought my truck in Oregon and my trip home to San Diego was my break in period. I ventured off of the 5 South to go visit the brewpub where my favorite beers are made. I believe it was SR 29 coming down into Napa Valley where I decided to test my Exhaust brake, and oh my god it was awesome. The road was I believe around a 9-10% grade and every 100 yards you were doing a small radius 180 degree turn. With out the exhaust brake on the truck really started to take off on its own but once i pushed the exhaust brake button and tapped the brake pedal the truck never accelerated from the grade past the speed I tapped the brakes at. I was impressed, and I can't wait to gradually test it with a 17000lb fifth wheel behind me.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts