Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

This mourning when i first left home i got the dreaded "exhaust fluid poor quality" on the on board display. I continued driving then the indicator light for the bad exhaust fluid shut off and the service engine soon light turned on.

The truck did not show the poor fluid status again all day. The service engine soon light did stay on though.

Once home i scanned the truck to see no codes stored. Service engine soon still on. I hit erase button and it turned the light off.???

Im kinda confused. I took the truck out for a 40 km drive after i cleared the light and no lights of anykind.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you

Jer

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know on the 2011 there was a recall on the def. So if u have not yet had that done I would contact dealer to c if your vin number is one of them on the recall list

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, truck is up to date on all recalls.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok the next thing is I would check the date on the def fluid it does go bad. I belive it has about a yr shelf life on it. I no longer have to deal with it but when I did I never had any bad fluid. It could just b a bug and its worked its way out

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
The most common solution to "exhaust fluid poor quality" is replacement of NOx sensors (sometimes 2 sometimes one). The dealer should have a tool to measure the def quality. The truck does it by trying to detect the change in exhaust composition rather than direct measurement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem, I put it in the shop the first 3 times it's happened they change the nox sensors and it's good for a couple of months. It just happened again so I ordered my exhaust and mini maxx race. What are the risks of driving it like this until my stuff comes in?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have the same problem, I put it in the shop the first 3 times it's happened they change the nox sensors and it's good for a couple of months. It just happened again so I ordered my exhaust and mini maxx race. What are the risks of driving it like this until my stuff comes in?
In a few hundred miles you will be restricted to 55MPH for a while and then 4MPH. Don't leave home with the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had the same problem with Def of poor quality. I have a 2011 and put on about 2000 miles per month/sometimes more. Three times I had the warning. Twice the initial indicator went away with a top off of 2.5 gallons of new DEF. Last time the engine light came on and restricted me to 55. Chev dealer replaced Nox2 adn I was fine for about 250 miles and $750 bucks. Somehow this is not under warrantee but will shut the damned engine down?????? I am hopelessly held as a lab rat with what is obviously a problem with the system. Thanks Government for the upgrades to our engines. I'll gladly take advice. Best of luck to you all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I am out 300 miles from home and my truck went into DEF mode I am limited to 55 mph and I have a PQEF light flashing. Any way to clear this and get home or am I screwed? Thanks guys and gals !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts