Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a 2001-2004 duramax in a couple months and want to do just some simple bolt ons. I was wondering whether i should go with a 5in or 4in dp back exhaust. Also what intake should i get i found a decent K&N intake for around 240$ and other intakes are really expensive, whats the big difference? Also i was looking around at programmers to see what i could find and the only one that i liked was the Edge Evolution Cts, so would that be a good programmer or not.
Thanks.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,743 Posts
I wouldn't get K&N for a Duramax.

4" or 5" is up to you, performance is the same, but sound is different. They say if you're considering 5" you should get it or else you'll want to trade up later.

Programmer I'd get EFI Live from Idaho Rob ATPTrucks.com or Kory Willis at Sythetic Motorsports.

Also should look into picking up an AirDog 2 165 lift pump and Edge Insight CS / CTS for gauges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i appricate it, if i didnt get the K&N intake then what should i get and afe? and i think im gonna go with a 5in but ive heard rumors about the exhaust might hit your spare tire im not sure if that really true or not. I probably go with the EFI live then. would i be alright would out the AirDog 2 cause i think their running like around 600$ something around their.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,743 Posts
S&B is popular.

If you buy 05 I would get a stock LBZ intake and mouth piece.

If you buy 06+ I would keep the stock intake.

Don't run a big tune without an AirDog, but with an 01-04 I think the AirDog is very important. It's a better filtration which will help your injectors.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Dont waste money on an intake at all. The stock is more then enough flow up to around 500hp

Like said above a lift pump is a good idea no matter what. It filters air and dirt which ruin injectors. I just recently bought the AD2 165one for myself.

As far as exhaust everyone says the 5" sounds great but i have the 4" straight pipe from MBRP and its more then loud enough to set off a car alarm.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
i think a 4 inch straight pipe sounds like garbage on the lb7... i have a 5 inch with a muffler and it sounds deep and doesn't get screechy or loud like a 4 inch straight does.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,743 Posts
Dont waste money on an intake at all. The stock is more then enough flow up to around 500hp.
That is only true for 06+ intakes, not LB7 / LLY intakes.....

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
@ the two above posts, to each his own

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't get K&N for a Duramax.

4" or 5" is up to you, performance is the same, but sound is different. They say if you're considering 5" you should get it or else you'll want to trade up later.

Programmer I'd get EFI Live from Idaho Rob ATPTrucks.com or Kory Willis at Sythetic Motorsports.

Also should look into picking up an AirDog 2 165 lift pump and Edge Insight CS / CTS for gauges.
^^ what he said, the k&ns are not good for the duramax. I've had buddies turbos caked with stuff the filter didnt pick up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
The K&N is one of the worst filters for removing dirt in a diesel. They let a lot of air through along with a lot of dirt. I lost a Powerstroke due to dirt getting past the filter. Couldn't believe how much dirt was inside the turbo intake tube, and that was cleaning and reoiling it every 5000 miles. The truck was in and out of fields and exposed to a lot of dust. You can't beat the filtration of a good paper filter.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i like the mods i have (see sig for mods) but i want to get the ad2 for my truck its always a good idea for are trucks. the k&n is junk imo and i think the intake and horn on my truck way a big help but if you are in a need to save some coin go and do the free air box more you can find the right up at Kennedy Diesel

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just got a s&b and I love it... 269 on eBay. I went dry not wet because I didn't want to have to mess with the maf later on. It has a clear cover so I can tell if the filter is dirty or not, on the topic of not getting one, I'm a firm believer in less restriction on intake and exhaust equals better performance and mpg. And I can tell a throttle performance difference after putting it on. Still saving for efi live and cts. I am doing a 4" straight pipe... Have the pipe in the dining room, just waiting for this long as winter to b over to put it on... So I can't tell you whether to go straight or 5 yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am currently getting ready to pick up an lb7 and notice that you suggested a edge cts for gauges and efi live. I found a triple gauge on glowshift gauges, it looks like a pretty good deal, but why are you suggesting the edge, ease of hookup? more options? better reading? Just curious on the recomendation.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I love my EDGE CTS. Some will say that the boost reading is limited since it is read of the maf sensor, but the diagnostic capabilities are worth it. Being able to check injector balance rates and fuel pressure at the touch of a button is awesome. The installation was super easy and the windshield mount is the best I've seen. Plus if you do get efi live you can switch tunes with the CTS.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would suggest a CTS and a boost gauge. As mentioned before the CTS can't read boost past a certain point because of the maf sensor. Get both and you have the perfect setup.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love my EDGE CTS. Some will say that the boost reading is limited since it is read of the maf sensor, but the diagnostic capabilities are worth it. Being able to check injector balance rates and fuel pressure at the touch of a button is awesome. The installation was super easy and the windshield mount is the best I've seen. Plus if you do get efi live you can switch tunes with the CTS.
Agreed... If you look at it its only a little more but way more functions... Also as stated above with the lb7 u can switch through tunes.... Aka not drill any holes. I actually plan on putting mine below the hvac controls by fabbing a new piece instead of the two slots.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I saw this earlier today while searching for gauges. It looks interesting, egt's seem to be what I monitor the most, boost is just for fun seems like, and pressure is what others seem to say that I would need (rail pressure I presume) This was a one shot gauge, and not that expensive.

I currently run autometer's in my truck now, and they have been good to me, but others with the same gauges have had issues

any thoughts?

3in1 Black Face Exhaust Temp and Digital Boost and Pressure Gauge

·
Registered
79 Posts
I saw this earlier today while searching for gauges. It looks interesting, egt's seem to be what I monitor the most, boost is just for fun seems like, and pressure is what others seem to say that I would need (rail pressure I presume) This was a one shot gauge, and not that expensive.

I currently run autometer's in my truck now, and they have been good to me, but others with the same gauges have had issues

any thoughts?

3in1 Black Face Exhaust Temp and Digital Boost and Pressure Gauge
I would also like to know about this if anyone has one... This is not as flashy as cts... But more subtle.

·
Registered
599 Posts
All I'll say is... Glow Shift, You get what you pay for!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts