Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am a new member here, just found the site actually. So far, it looks like it is full of very useful info. and knowledge. I have heard many diesel trucks around and some exhaust make the truck sound like a jet, sound very nice. Just curious if anyone has any experience with any exhausts that will give my truck this sound. It is an 07 Sierra 2500 6.6 diesel. I have read a lot about mbrp, i see they have a 4" and a 5". Is there any performance difference or sound difference between the 2. What is the pro's and con's or reasoning for going with the 5" over the 4". I am looking for a turbo back system. Also they come with mufflers, I see some people are straight piping, I would like to keep the mufflers, just looking for the "jet" sound. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks A Lot

·
Registered
91 Posts
The jet sound comes from the turbo that is on the particular truck. 04.5s and newer have VVT (variable vane turbos) that is the jet like sound. To get that, you need to lose the muffler (and I also recomend the cat to get full effect). A 5" will do you no good unless you build one hell of a motor. A 4" system will be fine. In fact, you could get a muff delete pipe and a new front pipe (to eliminate the cat) and get all the sound you want/need. The jet sound isn't from the exhaust, but the exhaust will muffle it.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Welcome to the site..the only dif between the 4" and the 5" is the sound under throttle and both sound about the same at highway speeds and either one will be all the exhaust your motor needs untill you hit into the 600rwhp range and then you will definitely need the bigger exhaust but if you want noise and be heard up to a mile away under a hard throttle go with a 5" 305 or 409 SS T/B exhaust from either MBRP or Silverline exhausts..just some of my thoughts

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have 4in. turbo back on mine with no muffler and it does sound like a jet. However, it only sounds this way because i took the muffler off. Before it was an aggressive tone but no where near as loud.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The sound with the LBZ and striaght pipes is awesome! Inside its very reasonable, outside it is a wonderful sound.

MBRP is a great exhaust for the price. Unluess you see alot of salt in the winter, stainless is just an extra cost option.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
The sound with the LBZ and striaght pipes is awesome! Inside its very reasonable, outside it is a wonderful sound.

MBRP is a great exhaust for the price. Unluess you see alot of salt in the winter, stainless is just an extra cost option.
definitely go with the SS if you live in a area that has snow(salt)in the winter time,i have an aluminized system on my LBZ and it just came thru it's second winter and is allready shot..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, if you have a truck which makes the so called "jet" sound, could you please give your your setup(exhaust type, muffler, no mufflers etc etc) that would be greatly appreciated. If have happen to have any vids of the exhaust on your truck, that would be even better. I would need a full SS exhaust as I will see snow, salt, sand every winter. Thanks A Lot

·
Registered
121 Posts
i emailed mbrp about the difference between 4' and 5' and they said that the 5' would have a deeper sound and cooler egts. but said that the 4' and 5' have similar performance.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, if you have a truck which makes the so called "jet" sound, could you please give your your setup(exhaust type, muffler, no mufflers etc etc) that would be greatly appreciated. If have happen to have any vids of the exhaust on your truck, that would be even better. I would need a full SS exhaust as I will see snow, salt, sand every winter. Thanks A Lot
in my sig there is a link to a vid i have of my truck..

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I don't know if this helps...and maybe it's just my truck...but my uncle is a mechanic...and we just put a 4' MBRP cat back system with a muffler on. We tried it without the muffler...and with....and my truck was quieter without the muffler. So I kept the muffler just so it had some deep throaty sound....and even with the loudest setting...my truck isn't at all louder. I was going to delete my cat...but you can see straight through it...which makes me wonder how much it can actually restrict air flow. I know you are getting a turbo back...but these are just my experiences with exhausts, and I thought I would share.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts