Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I am researching for my good neighbor on his 2001 crew cab 4x4 chevy... only mod so far is edge juice with attitude.. well, I have noticed his egts are pretty high and am pretty sure a new exhaust with cat delete would help this. My question is I have heard when you remove the cat on the truck it will sent a CEL and cause problems.. is there a fix for this as not having to invest into a diff program like efi live to eliminate this problem? while taking things out I have also heard a egr delete is good to do but will cause CEL also.. it's a california truck so it has all that good stuff on it. thanks for the help I appreciate it. I myself have a cummins. Diesel is the only way to go though.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, with the california emissions truck he will probably need a fingerstick and egr blocker. That will eliminate the codes and for a cheap price too. Have him check out kennedydiesel.com. I wasn't aware of the 2001s having cats with california emissions, but it wouldn't surprise me either. With the new exhaust, it will lower egts. The most restriction is from the cat. Welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks for the help.. yeah ca is a great state for funky emissions

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am unable to find fingerstick for an 01..

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Have you physically seen the cat on that truck? Let me do some more looking on the internet to see if I can find you one though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I was wondering why in stock configuration just using that attitude as a monitor his egs would get over 1250 crusing up a 2-3% grade not even getting into the throttle.. so I looked under truck and saw muffler and then looked closer to the turbo and saw the cat

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That isn't all that high on the egt. (I have seen over 1400 under the same conditions, but I was getting it) Maybe he should have got on it to cause a higher boost level. He might want to look into a ppe boost increase valve for his truck. What was his boost level on it when he hit those egts?

BTW, From what i have read, the 01s shouldn't need the blocker and fingerstick, but I would assume that his truck would throw codes without the cat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from what he said when he got on it it was going higher so he just cruised it. He is going to get an exhaust so we will see what happens then if it throws codes we will have to fix it

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
If he does get the exhaust, he might as well get the PPE boost increaser too. It is only like $50 or less depending on where you get it. Keep us posted though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok the exhaust is on and no codes. we ended up putting a turbo back system from summit it was a pretty easy install and it sounds good. but when we went for a drive there was no difference in egt's but we added a cold air intake and it dropped the egts by 120 so it keeps it in the 1100 while cruising up a hill. I have not driven it yet to see what it does when the throttle is really used. but it's better than it was and sounds better too

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i just installed a exhaust on a demax that my friend bought out of CA and it had the cat and so far it hasn't thrown any codes and that is a T/B Exhaust(Turbo Back Exhaust)..i would highly recommend the boost increase valve from ppe for the LB7..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah we did the same thing and it helped it sound better. I will have to let him know about the boost valve. not my truck so it's up to him... whats a good egt range for these? I have a cummins so it's a new ball game with the duramax

·
Registered
142 Posts
Metal still melts at the same temps no matter what engine it is in. What works on a Cummin's should work on the Dmax.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
yeah we did the same thing and it helped it sound better. I will have to let him know about the boost valve. not my truck so it's up to him... whats a good egt range for these? I have a cummins so it's a new ball game with the duramax
Keep your egts to 1400 or below and you should be safe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys. different manufactueres use different alloys in their pistons so I am sure they all have a diff heat range thats why I asked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.