Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now....I'm getting an exhaust and not a programmer until I save some more money. I was looking at a Cat Back....but alot of people are telling me to go turbo back. From my understanding....a cat back has a cat...and a turbo back deletes the cat and is a straight pipe...am I correct? And in you guys opinion...is a turbo back better than a cat back? And is a turbo back illegal? AND...one more....haha....will getting rid of my Cat cause error codes? Plus...I had some guy tell me that on a chevy...since there isn't alot of drop...that a turbo back doesn't really make a difference like it would on a dodge or ford.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Yes, a cat back just leave the factory cat in place and connects to the pipe behind the cat. Typically the turbo back kits are called "offroad" kits. Do you have an inspection where you live? If not, you could get the turbo back. You will need to get a code blocker if you remove the cat though because it will most likely cause a code and a CEL. Also, the turbo back systems for say a ford actually connects up to the turbo, not like ours where it connects to the downpipe actually. You could always just buy a cat back system for now and buy the cat delete pipe later if you want, but to get the full benefit from an exhaust, you need to get rid of the cat....which in some states is illegal if they care. If you have no emissions testing or inspection, you shouldn't have a problem though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i put a blocker plate and a fingure stick on my truck then talked to my dealer and they said they would warrenty it with the full 4" tb ; everything runs cooler, feels better pulling, and the dealer doesn't worry about warenty work from my foot frying the heads

·
Registered
8 Posts
IN that case I will bring mine too your dealer if I tears up. I asked mine about a turbo back and they said no way. They said I can do anything after the second O2 sens. My question is what about the sound, I did a 5"mbrp(from turbo) on a friends 2001 and his sounds mean and loud, actually more like a built gas motor at idle. so when I installed my Goose neck hitch I took the exhaust off from the cat back and it was just as quiet as stock, I didn't drive it just ran it in park on the lift reved it a few times, so I don't know what it sounds like under a load but with no load it isn't very impressive. I am lookin more for the more agressive sound as I pull a 34ft goosneck on a fairly regular basis and it does great the way it is (stock) but I would like it to be faster but not at the expense of losing the warranty as It has already had an injector harness put on and it needs a water pump as it leaks after a hard pull if I shut the motor off. Yes, I know better, I don't normally do that but, I did and it leaked.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
to get the sound you could gut the cat but i would just do the turbo back system and keep the oem exhaust in case you ever have to take your truck back to the dealershipand then you can install the oem exhaust and your good to go..hope this makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts