Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got tired of smelling exhaust every time my truck did a regen and took it to the dealer. They kept it 2 days, ran a bunch of tests on it. After the mechanic took the down pipe off and inspected it, he couldn't get it to align. He also said it was full of soot. He called GM HQ and they told him to put on a new down pipe, which he did.

I picked it up the other afternoon and immediately noticed more engine response. I forgot how responsive it was supposed to be. I also noticed my mileage increased. I monitor the MPG by the DIC. It was running around 15 and now it's running around 18 on my daily route.

More good news was the 100,000 mile/5 year diesel warranty covered 100% of the cost.

I plan on keeping the warranty till it runs out next fall, then off comes the DPF and in goes a tune (can't wait).

GM

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, one thing I noticed. On the DIC there is now a timer that I can reset. I don't remember having that before taking the truck in. I guess maybe they reflashed the ECM.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
@gamitch11, I have read your update post of your situation with your 2007 Chevrolet truck. I am glad that you are experiencing the performance of the truck that you have been missing!!!

Please, don't hesitate to contact me with comments, questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exhaust smell in cab.

@gamitch11, I have read your update post of your situation with your 2007 Chevrolet truck. I am glad that you are experiencing the performance of the truck that you have been missing!!!

Please, don't hesitate to contact me with comments, questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
I'm getting the same smell also, Have taken it to local dealer two times with out it being fixed... truck now has 56-k on it and wish they could fix it too. :( last time I was told they did not see any sign of leak? it I can smell it in cab, I think it is still leaking.:help

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
The one disappointing thing I have found with most GM's service departments is if there is not a code for anything they will not repair anything. If there are no codes for exhaust smells in the cab they won't do anything.
My truck @ 6 months had a bad radiator/coolant recovery cap, the upper radiator hose was collapsed they claimed this is normal, it is not.
Verified by Stant.
The service writer said since there are no codes for the radiator cap they will not replace it. I told him there are no sensors on the cap, his response was then I can`t help you.
So I went into the parts department bought one it cost $10 solved the problem, put the defective cap in the box returned it to the dealer parts and got my money refunded.:neener
I`ve had a few other issues that GM would not repair that I ended up fixing myself.
I bought 2 vehicles the same day total $110K and GM weasels out on fixing/repairing, I`m not impressed.
I never had any BS like this with Ford and Dodge.
I`ve been a GM person pretty much my whole life, but disappointed with the way they handle warranty repairs.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
yea i had a glow plug code go off on my lbz and they would only replace the one glow plug instead of all 8 like they should have. not happy with that

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
I took my truck in to get this looked @ again. (This marks the 10th time iv taken it in for this.)
Took it to a different dealer, different city/state & no fix. :rolleyes:
Getting the run around like I did when getting the DPF replaced.

What gets me they have a bulletin on this, you take a copy of the bulletin to them & they do nothing about it. I have it in writting saying;
"Customer states smell in cab when DPF is in Regen. Some order in cab when exhaust is cleaning is normal. No problems found @ this time." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
yea i had a glow plug code go off on my lbz and they would only replace the one glow plug instead of all 8 like they should have. not happy with that
They will only replace the one that is no good.
Plus GM will only repair something that shows a code, no codes your chit out of luck. Like exhaust/regen smells in the cab no trouble code, no repair.
I've gotten to the point that I can not deal anymore with the GM idiots so I will not patronize any of them anymore.
Hopefully my truck lasts a long time, because my next vehicle will NOT be a GM product. Because of the poor customer service for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I took my truck in to get this looked @ again. (This marks the 10th time iv taken it in for this.)
Took it to a different dealer, different city/state & no fix. :rolleyes:
Getting the run around like I did when getting the DPF replaced.

What gets me they have a bulletin on this, you take a copy of the bulletin to them & they do nothing about it. I have it in writting saying;
"Customer states smell in cab when DPF is in Regen. Some order in cab when exhaust is cleaning is normal. No problems found @ this time." :rolleyes:
One thing to check is your a/c control set on re-circulate or is it set on letting the so called fresh air in. The regen smell will enter even if you have the control set on re-circulate but it is not as bad. If it is set on fresh air in then it is much worse.

People have reported having stock down pipe issues but then exhaust/diesel odors would be in the cab all the time.
If it is just during regens then the dealer will not do anything.
The only way to eliminate the odor completely is to delete it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I got lucky. I told the service manager there was a bulletin. There service tech pulled it up while I was waiting. After an hour and a half wait, they told me it would take several hours to do everything in the bulletin. They even gave me a ride home (I live 30 miles from that dealer).
Like I said, I guess I got lucky, I'm not complaining.:)
Hope I'll be as lucky if I have to have anything else done under warranty.
GM

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Like DRC said, easiest way to get rid of the smell is get rid of the dpf. I notice hardly any smell in my cab after doing so.

The leaky downpipe issue with LMM's is not unheard of like I said before, but I agree with DRC if that was the case you'd have that smell constantly.

Good luck with this dealer.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I guess I got lucky. I told the service manager there was a bulletin. There service tech pulled it up while I was waiting. After an hour and a half wait, they told me it would take several hours to do everything in the bulletin. They even gave me a ride home (I live 30 miles from that dealer).
Like I said, I guess I got lucky, I'm not complaining.:)
Hope I'll be as lucky if I have to have anything else done under warranty.
GM
Glad everything worked out for you! If there are any other questions you have, feel free to keep us posted. Thank you!

Joey, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Finally found a dealer that was willing to looked @ this problem. They said (samething I was told last time & yet it didnt fix it) a clamp was loose so they retightened it. Showed the TSB sheet on this & the service guy seem to knw about this problem. I hope this fixed it. Figures crossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am having this problem in my 08, i've talked to the dealer and get same answer-no code, no fix. where do i get a copy of this service bulletin?

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I replaced my DP, the heat shield was covered in soot and a small crack in the lip of the DP.

Replaced with MBRP DP, no more smell in cab.

You can replace just the DP with an aftermarket leaving the DPF intact, it works both ways.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
My truck is currently at the dealership for this problem. Service Manager told me there was a bulletin and that they were just going to replace the down pipe so they have had my truck since Friday morning. At least they gave me a nice loaner truck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts