Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
im new to the duramax community and have just recently purchased my first one. its an 05 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 LLY. As of now i have the stock 3.5" tubing and have cut out the cat and muffler. Im looking to upgrade to a real aftermarket exhaust system and honestly have no clue what to go after.

Things to keep in mind:
- price < $500
- size does not matter
- in cab noise/drone
- single passenger side exit

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and stories

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
4"- MBRP straight from any dealer/vendor here
5"- husker diesel economy kit -best price out there for 5" and great guys to work with

sound will be a tad deeper with the 5", no performance gains over 4" piping

·
Registered
897 Posts
4"- MBRP straight from any dealer/vendor here
5"- husker diesel economy kit -best price out there for 5" and great guys to work with

sound will be a tad deeper with the 5", no performance gains over 4" piping
What he said. I would find out which one is cheapest, and go that way. Pipe is pipe. I have an MBRP 5" but I would have a Husker if it was available when I bought mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read other posts and comments about 5" being unbearable in the cab. Is there any truth to that

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I've read other posts and comments about 5" being unbearable in the cab. Is there any truth to that
I don't think you'll find any side exit exhaust unbearable. If you just want something cheap but nice, Get a 4" MBRP. Lots of the vendors here carry them:thumb

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Cheap and MBRP don't belong in the same sentence. WTF are you guys on?!

Diamond Eye or Flo Pro are pretty much the cheapest kits you can get and the vendors carry them as well in 4" or 5".

I always buy the DE kits cause you can run em out the back or leave the last piece of pipe off and it's a dump setup without paying the extra for less, lol.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Cheap and MBRP don't belong in the same sentence. WTF are you guys on?!

Diamond Eye or Flo Pro are pretty much the cheapest kits you can get and the vendors carry them as well in 4" or 5".

I always buy the DE kits cause you can run em out the back or leave the last piece of pipe off and it's a dump setup without paying the extra for less, lol.

My mbrp setup was cheaper than a diamond eye setup...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
husker kit is what i run. its a great kit and i only have a slight slight drone its not unbearable by any means. and i don't many people have a cheaper kit than husker they are a great bunch of guys to deal with

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
i have the MBRP 5" stainless straight, got it from Performance Truck Products...10% discount, free shipping (box is fvckin 90 pounds too), life time warranty, and stainless steel...fit fine, with the windows up you can barely tell i have a sewer pipe coming from my downpipe back...surprisingly

·
Registered
833 Posts
is part of the husker diesel economy 5'' exhaust 4''? from the picture of it on their website looks like it says 4'' on one part

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yes the front pipe is 4", everything else is 5". Just like with most 5" kits if i remember correctly, due to fitment issues with the torsion bar crossmember

Did you steal it?
haha no, purchased it through dmaxstore about 6-7mo ago. I just know that at least at that time it was cheaper than any setup I could find and i did some serious research. Just a 4" aluminized straight, nothing special on my end..

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
diamond eye has good kits too

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
yes the front pipe is 4", everything else is 5". Just like with most 5" kits if i remember correctly, due to fitment issues with the torsion bar crossmember

haha no, purchased it through dmaxstore about 6-7mo ago. I just know that at least at that time it was cheaper than any setup I could find and i did some serious research. Just a 4" aluminized straight, nothing special on my end..
I've never found anything cheaper, weird.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think you'll find any side exit exhaust unbearable. If you just want something cheap but nice, Get a 4" MBRP. Lots of the vendors here carry them:thumb
I just completed the 4" MBRP downpipe back straight pipe and love the sound. It is not loud in the cab and it sounds like a jet from the outside at idle. Love the exhaust.

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
Anyone run flowmasters? Was curious how good of luck w/those anyone has had.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^no, considering most guys don't run mufflers on our applications. Most of us just run straight pipe since the turbos quiet them down so much..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts