Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys alright so I've been trying to figure out the exhaust set up on the lmm. there is just to much going through my head. does anyone have a diagram of the exhaust set up?

between down pipes, dpf back, cat back, up pipes. i mean i dont know whats best. i know i want to do a dpf delete. but i dont know if i should just do a whole system or just the delete pipe.

well i know whats best. straight pipe the whole thing. no back pressure. right? but i can't really have a loud truck. i mean i want it to pur and sound good. i just can't have it roaring. gonna stick with 4 in for sure. no need for a 5.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
If you want a quiet set-up I suggest the Diamond Eye 4" down-pipe back exhaust with quiet tone front pipe. This will keep it almost as quiet as strock.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I would say do whole system either DP back or go ahead and do DP while your at it but its a PITA the whole system is not much more on price then both delete pipes all depending on what you want

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
I've got the whole system with the DPF delete with a magnaflow muffler and it's pretty quiet but still sounds good. I'm straight piping it this weekend though. Muffler cut off with a piece of pipe welded in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay well here is another question. Why not go to a local exhaust shop? I know I can get my exhaust done a heck of a lot cheaper than any type of kits. Heck I can straight pipe 4" all the way to the back for 70 bucks. Cause isn't the key to a diesel is no back pressure? So whats the difference.

And yea I know straight pipe obviously won't be quiet but I can get one thrown on for probably another 100 or so. Or does my local shop just have crazy good prices? They do great work and everyone around uses them

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
781 Posts
Most exhaust shops can't bend 4" pipe, My buddy has the Diamond eye quiet front pipe and a full 4" Diamond Eye system its pretty quiet and he put down 499 rwhp so it flows enough....:thumb

·
Registered
781 Posts
VGT trucks aren't very loud with no muffler, more of an air rushing sound.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VGT trucks aren't very loud with no muffler, more of an air rushing sound.
I'm sorry but what is vgt? And yea they aren't. It's not the loud annoying popping shit you get from a gas burner. But I know my buddy's 04 duramax is loud as he'll for someone reason. Wakes me up every time he comes home at night and my house is 150 yards from the street!!

The reason I want it somewhat quite is for running fire calls. I volunteer and run lights in our pov's. So when I come out of a turn I'm hoping on it pretty good

·
Registered
581 Posts
Get a full system but order for 01-07 and it'll be cheaper and yes they are all the same and its not VGT it's VVT - variable vane turbo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a full system but order for 01-07 and it'll be cheaper and yes they are all the same and its not VGT itd VVT - variable vane turbo
I gotcha that makes sense. So you're saying the exhaust off of those will fit the lmm?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Get a full system but order for 01-07 and it'll be cheaper and yes they are all the same and its not VGT it's VVT - variable vane turbo
VGT or variable geometry turbo
VVT or variable vane turbo

Whichever you prefer, I've heard them called either. :neener

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good deal I appreciate it. I just found a diamond eye 4in for 250 at Meyer. I can add a muffler for 30 bucks. So if I ever don't want the muffler I can just chop it off and lose only 30 bucks. I guess I'll need to get a down pipe though

·
Diesel Junky
1,109 Posts
get the dp while your at it, your egt's will be alot lower and truck will sound and breathe better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went 4" mbrp no muffler with diamond eye down pipe and it's not bad until I'm running 70mph then it's a little to loud in the cab. Im thinking about getting a muffler because of it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went 4" mbrp no muffler with diamond eye down pipe and it's not bad until I'm running 70mph then it's a little to loud in the cab. Im thinking about getting a muffler because of it.

Really? My 5" is like stock at 70. Slight drone at 65 if I'm working the pedal but not too bad..

Mike

·
Diesel Junky
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes it's a deep rumble/humming that's just at the right pitch to bug me. Nobody else seems to notice.

Keith

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was afraid of that going with the 5". I know what you are talking about though.

Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts