Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased another d-max. I am wanting to start to get some mods and think I am gonna start with an exhaust. I am thinking 4" or 5" traight pipe turbo back. Just seeing what you guys out here think. Eventually I am gonna be getting more mod's (as the money comes in) but just figured I would start simple. I want it a little loud and deep but not too annoying when I am going down the interstate for 6 hours straight. What yall think?

·
Registered
54 Posts
A 4in exahust with a muffler. pretty innexpensive on xdp

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
if you ask an exhaust question here to 10 people, you will get 12 different answers.

your best bet it to find someone locally with what you are thinking of buying and seeing if they will give you a test ride.

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
4 inch is fine, five is for alot of power, or a deeper tone. either way get a downpipe, egt's will be alot lower and truck will sound good:thumb

·
Registered
991 Posts
got my magnaflow 4 inch dual installed for 320 bucks by the local mennonite exhaust shop. told em to keep the muffler so they took 50 bucks off. sounds great

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
4" if you're on a budget. Sounds good, works just as good as any 5" piece. MBRP is your best deal here. Check with any of our vendors here.

5" is a little deeper tone, husker diesels economy kit is your best deal for this.

No performance increase from one to the other, just sound.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
LB7 with a 5" straight pipe = sweet sound. That's my next mod.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is it much louder to go straight pipe 4" vs MBRP 4" with muffler? Is there much difference in sound from stock to 4" MBRP with muffler? Is straight pipe the way to go? I know everyone has their own opinion on this, I just want input so I can be happy with my purchase. I will definitely get a down pipe as well. Sorry for hi-jacking, thought it would be easier since you all were already talking about it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Most people choose to go with the straight pipe, as mufflers are unnecessary for most. If you're too on the fence and don't know what you want, you could always order a kit with a muffler and then go to a muffler shop to weld in a straight piece of pipe to replace it down the road if you're unhappy.

I'm perfectly happy with my straight however, no drone and is not loud at all until you get on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts