Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking into new exhaust for my 07 duramax. Does anyone know first hand what brand is the best choice? Every company claims you get more hp and everything with their product so I cant really decide. I want good sound but I also want to be able to tell a difference in my performance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So whats the difference between the turbo back and the cat back, which gives you more power and sound?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
If you've never played with an exhaust...or been under your truck..here's my best explanation. From engine back it goes Cat, Pipe, Exhaust, End Pipe. I have a MBRP Cat back system....on the Cat-Back system, you detach the pipe and exhaust all in one piece right after the Cat. On a Turbo back system....you detach it basically near the engine and remove the Cat, Pipe, and Exhaust all in one piece. If you want a louder setup...then you'll want a Turbo back system. And you can buy an EGR blocker plate and "Fingers" stick in a package for 50.00 from www.kennedydiesel.com. Because from what I hear if you remove the Cat it will throw codes...and the EGR blocker plate will keep soot out of your engine, and the "Fingers" stick will block codes. I'm pretty sure a programmer will also clear you codes. And as far as it being really loud...I had all my stuff removed and it didn't really seem any louder to me...only difference I notice is when I'm cruising at 50 or 70 there is a humming noise now. And I would personally recommend a MBRP or Silverline Stainless Steel system IMO from the research I did. Hope this helps out a bit...and if anyone else is reading this and I didn't explain this right please correct me.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
If you've never played with an exhaust...or been under your truck..here's my best explanation. From engine back it goes Cat, Pipe, Exhaust, End Pipe. I have a MBRP Cat back system....on the Cat-Back system, you detach the pipe and exhaust all in one piece right after the Cat. On a Turbo back system....you detach it basically near the engine and remove the Cat, Pipe, and Exhaust all in one piece. If you want a louder setup...then you'll want a Turbo back system. And you can buy an EGR blocker plate and "Fingers" stick in a package for 50.00 from www.kennedydiesel.com. Because from what I hear if you remove the Cat it will throw codes...and the EGR blocker plate will keep soot out of your engine, and the "Fingers" stick will block codes. I'm pretty sure a programmer will also clear you codes. And as far as it being really loud...I had all my stuff removed and it didn't really seem any louder to me...only difference I notice is when I'm cruising at 50 or 70 there is a humming noise now. And I would personally recommend a MBRP or Silverline Stainless Steel system IMO from the research I did. Hope this helps out a bit...and if anyone else is reading this and I didn't explain this right please correct me.
:thumbsup:GoodJob thats right on the money except i would do a T/B verses a Cat back but thats my opinion...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha this stuff went straight over my head sorry guys but whats an EGR blocker plate, and what are the codes your talking about. Sorry and thanks for the help.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
do a search on this site for more info..heres a link to the egr plate by PPE Fuel/Intake/Exhaust/Oil : Pacific Performance Engineering, Diesel Performance Technolgies the code that it trips do to haveing a freeflowing exhaust the cat doesn't screen all the smoke and when the sensors detect to much smoke going by it will throw a engine code to tell you something wrong when it really isn't or something like that Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ..hope that made sense..quick question,what is your goal for the truck,do you want a small increase in hp and a gain in MPG and dependable and long life or lots of HP and but still street drivable.do you plan on competing in any extreme 4X4 competion?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
When you remove the Cat...you take the chance of having all that soot that comes from your exhaust go back into your vehicle...because the Cat gets rid of it. When you put a Turbo Back system on...you remove the Cat...so the EGR blocker plate blocks the soot. And as for the Codes...if you remove the Cat your vechile will throw Codes..as in something is broken Code. The "Fingers" stick will stop your truck from giving those codes and make it think that the Cat is still there. It basically allows you to have a straight pipe go from the Turbo or downpipe back and get loudness and more power....BUT your truck thinks it's still running a "legal" system...it basically tricks the computer.

Sorry TyreBoyz...when I wrote this....you must of been writing your post and I didn't see you responded first. My bad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is mostly going to be driven on the street but ill be buying some all terrains, i want some extra hp and good sound mainly. im not going to buy like a chip or anything i wont be racing it or doing anything extreme. hope that helps. thanks guys. So what would be better for my situation, turbo or cat.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Do a cat back. Least cost, least issues, and minimal performance difference at stock power levels. Sound should be a little easier on the ears with the cat still installed. Sound will still be pretty quiet inside.

MBRP is top notch. Good fit, good price, and available in several different configurations (single, dual, 5", in 2 types of stainless and aluminized).

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
if thats what you plan on doing with the truck a nice MBRP or Silverline 304SS or 409SS cat back system will do the trick,one thing to remeber you can always add the downpipe later to make it a Turbo baxk exhaust..

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
thank you guys for supporting our Exhaust systems
not a problem but i will say this you guys do a good job building your systems..oh and welcome to the forum..
ps i run the silverline for myself but i have heard nothing but good from you-alls products..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definately go with the turbo back. I purchased a Corsa cat back exhaust and was very dissappointed. The next week i bought the downcomer (from the turbo to the flange downstream of the cat) and it made all the difference in the world.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definately go with the turbo back. I purchased a Corsa cat back exhaust and was very dissappointed. The next week i bought the downcomer (from the turbo to the flange downstream of the cat) and it made all the difference in the world.
thats what i think, i would really like a nice sound with more hp and this seems to be the answer. anyone disagree?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on the mbrp website you can only choose from dodge ford or gmc for the make, am i suppost to choose gmc? my truck is a chevy. also, does silverline have a website?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
The GMC and Chevy are the same thing. If you are going to buy an exhaust...search the vendors on here and talk to them...you will more than likely get it cheaper than if you went to a Automotive Store and bought it.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
will a turbo back spit more black smoke? and if so is it legal?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts