Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a 2020 Denali and was wondering about which current colors choices were the easiest or hardest to keep clean. I'm not a big fan of washing my truck weekly, but prefer that it not look really dirty. Some colors just seem to high dirt better than others. Looking for current owners opinions and preferences.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that's just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I would not have guessed red to be bad or white to be good. I've had black before and knew that it can be tough to keep looking good, but haven't had white so i assumed that it would be difficult as well. Anxious to see how others feel.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had a red IROC Z28 and it was horrible to keep clean, same as my previous red LMM. They always seemed to show dirt and dust really easily.. We have a black Jetta currently, and had a black Saturn Vue previously, both show water spots and dust really easily. We had a white minivan for a couple years, and it took longer to "look" dirty. There was a silver Ford Focus in there for quite a while as well, and that one was easy to keep looking clean also.

Seems like the more bold the color is, the easier it is to see flaws like dirt and such. Maybe that's just because we spend more time looking at them? I dunno.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you're on to something with the bold color theory. I had a silver Ram truck that never showed dust or dirt, but I have to say it never really looked dazzling when it was clean. Never really liked that truck so maybe that was part of it, but it just didn't have that "Wow" factor when clean. It just looked about the same whether clean or not.

·
Registered
716 Posts
White trucks don’t show scratches or dirt nearly as bad as any other color, that’s why so many fleet vehicles are white. My company truck sees a lot of off-road use on brushy gas and oil lease roads. If you get right up close it’s scratched all to hell but 20’ away it looks like a new truck. IMO nothing sexier than a black truck but I’ll never own another one. My current Dmax is white also for that very reason.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Registered
129 Posts
As stated already, blacks the worst and white is the best. Dark blue, green and red are one step better than black. Silver, tan, the lighter grays are one step below white. IMO those hard to take care of colors sure do look better than white though! At least after a wash and wax...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've had lots of silver and white vehicles. In fact, my wife and I's last 9 daily drivers have been silver or white. They are generally the easiest to keep looking good between extended wash intervals. I don't know if there's a similar color choice in the new trucks, probably not, but the best I ever had was a 1997 Olds LSS in Stone Beige. That thing could be filthy and it still looked good unless you got up really close and actually inspected it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have brownstone met..... its not bad for light dust and dirt.... but it does show in winter good. Couple new colors for 2021...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Another vote for white. My 18 y/o white truck still looks pretty damn good and it's got lots of miles and lots of use. I rarely even wash it anymore. It's get's dirty but doesn't really look bad because the dirt really doesn't show up. I can be absolutely filthy and it just looks a little dirty. Darker colors are the worst - black, red, etc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
White by far is easiest to look and keep clean.
Dark colors are also harder to keep and look clean.
We went white 30+ years ago on all our 4 wheeled vehicles and haven't changed since other than our dualies were silver as my bride wanted a different color for them.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Lighter colours are easier to keep 'looking' clean than dark colours.

Many of the current colours have some small flakes in them that makes the colour appear to change with the light level. Also helps to hide the dirt/dust.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
If you get a Black truck it will be the most Beautiful vehicle on the road for 30 minutes............then it will look dirty and dusty.

White, Brown and Gold, in that order seem to look cleaner longer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lighter colours are easier to keep 'looking' clean than dark colours.

Many of the current colours have some small flakes in them that makes the colour appear to change with the light level. Also helps to hide the dirt/dust.
Sierra has a color called white frost tricoat that looks just pure white in overcast or shaded conditions. On a sunny day the color changes to a dazzling sparkly white color. It's really pops in bright light.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Sierra has a color called white frost tricoat that looks just pure white in overcast or shaded conditions. On a sunny day the color changes to a dazzling sparkly white color. It's really pops in bright light.
I like that one way better than the old white diamond tricoat (I think it was called). To my eye, the old one always looked dirty.
As you say, white frost looks great in the sunlight. I think it will hide dust and grime better than Summit white.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts