Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I updated my tunes to the V2.6 but I'm curious if I'd get any benefit from the V2.6-LBF tune? LBF is low boost fueling. The description says "this profile will incorporate low boost fueling which will increase fueling resulting in more low-end power/responsiveness." Is this different than having a lift pump? Any help or explanation would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Basic explanation is it adds more fuel than the ecm usually would allow down low before the boost comes on. A lift pump is completely different. Not sure what you were asking about the lift pump to be honest..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A lift pump and LBF tune have no relation to each other. The lift pump is a mechanical upgrade that only pushes fuel to the CP4/ CP3 to take less stress off of the high pressure pump beleive its 8-10 PSI. The LBF is in the tuning/ ECM to provide more fuel at lower boost #'s to help spool the turbo quicker creating better response down low. I used to run the LBF tune when i had the stock turbo and CP4 and loved it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lift pump and LBF tune have no relation to each other. The lift pump is a mechanical upgrade that only pushes fuel to the CP4/ CP3 to take less stress off of the high pressure pump beleive its 8-10 PSI. The LBF is in the tuning/ ECM to provide more fuel at lower boost #'s to help spool the turbo quicker creating better response down low. I used to run the LBF tune when i had the stock turbo and CP4 and loved it.

Thanks denali6.6 that was the answer I was looking for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
just a bit of a heads up with LBF tunes, they tend to have a steeper torque curve. Making sure the trans is relearned properly for these tunes is crucial.

Here's some good info on LBF tunes from AllinTruckPerformances website.

-The LML Allison needs additional time to adapt to the increased torque since the ECM does not pull fuel (defuel) during shifts. This is why it is critical to allow the TCM to learn before asking too much of it. We suggest that the customer start on 100hp or less to get the transmission to do the initial learn. If a customer is intending to run the Low Boost Fueling (LBF) tuning, which has a much steeper torque curve, they will need to ensure that the Allison has learned to shift really well on the strongest non-LBF tune before making the switch to the LBF tune. Going from a completely stock tune to an LBF tune will always be asking far too much of an Allison that has not learned.

Reactions: mstein86

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a bit of a heads up with LBF tunes, they tend to have a steeper torque curve. Making sure the trans is relearned properly for these tunes is crucial.

Here's some good info on LBF tunes from AllinTruckPerformances website.

-The LML Allison needs additional time to adapt to the increased torque since the ECM does not pull fuel (defuel) during shifts. This is why it is critical to allow the TCM to learn before asking too much of it. We suggest that the customer start on 100hp or less to get the transmission to do the initial learn. If a customer is intending to run the Low Boost Fueling (LBF) tuning, which has a much steeper torque curve, they will need to ensure that the Allison has learned to shift really well on the strongest non-LBF tune before making the switch to the LBF tune. Going from a completely stock tune to an LBF tune will always be asking far too much of an Allison that has not learned.
Thanks for the info, I noticed when I had my truck on the highest tune and I'm going @65mph and floor it, the truck pulsates, I think this is a transmission issue, not a tuning issue. I do have a trans tune as well. I keep my tune on #2 which is mild. I don't need a blown transmission. LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can still run the tunes just keep that info in mind. It all comes down to your right foot in the long run. I personally dont make hits like that in my truck so i cant really say definitely what it is nor am i an expert but i would have to guess its torque converter related.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Thanks for the info, I noticed when I had my truck on the highest tune and I'm going @65mph and floor it, the truck pulsates
That's probabaly the worst thing you can do on a stock transmission besides neuatral dropping it. You're lugging the motor at that speed and the transmission is going to take awhile to downshift in that condition with the converter locked. Those are your two weakest gears. Downshift manual and or slowly roll into the throttle. What your feeling is converter shudder most likely. Stock lml converter starts to loose material and go at 900 ftlbs

Reactions: kovar

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told this morning by a rep at PPEI not to run the LBF tunes unless I’ve having issues with the normal tunes.

Reactions: mstein86
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.