Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the middle of trying to get this flippin downpipe out of my truck. I have 2 questions.

how do I get the transmission dipstick tube lose? is there some type of clip holding it in that I am missing?

how many bolts are holding the downpipe shield on? I only found 2 but it feels like it is still attached

Thanks

it's gonna be a long night . I can tell you this definitely is not a 1 person job

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Dip stick is bolted to the side of the tranny by 2 bolts if i remember correctly. Then it just slides out.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
It helps to have a hand, I think theres 3 bolts in the shield ill have to run out to the garage to look. Its def. a real patience tester.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just made it my b***h!

your right there was a second nut on the dipstick that I missed. came right up after that.

after I got it moved up I was able to access the third bolt on the shield

I then pushed the shield up and pulled it out the top and then finally was able to get the downpipe out of the bottom.

Now to reverse the whole process.

I still have to get the whole new exhaust put on tonight.

Ill check back in later when i have more problems.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Good luck with the install, once you get the direct pipe on, the new exhaust should be a breeze.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
F'n give her! Not looking forward to doing mine.

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
it sucks but well worth it:thumb, trimming the end of the dipstic tube makes a easier reinstall

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
cut that f***in heat shield with whatever it takes i used a sawsall a drimmel with a hard disk would have been better. best i can tell is just keep trying it took me like 3 hours just to get it out putting the new one on was easy as pie

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OOh, u didn't put the bolt that was the original downpipe at the bottom. is it a problem that its not in.? can't remember if it held anything else.

·
Jank-A-Lank
1,339 Posts
the down pipe is not that bad, its the up pipe that will get ya ;) haha putting in the lb7 up pipe on my truck after my egr delete was funnnn

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
^ was backwards for me.. up pipes came off in like 20min..

so i got all jacked up for going home early.

4hrs later i had the stupid new downpipe on.. :rof

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Said this many times now but I was seriously ready to light my LBZ on fire because of the stupid downpipe. Webster's was lookin at adding the new cusswords I made up during the install.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts