Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I've always had the Fuel Pressure Regulator surging problem. Never really was a big deal. After a couple of months the "check engine" light would come on, and I would simply clear it with one of my programmers. Now all of the sudden, every morning the "check engine" light comes on (or after every cold start). Thankfully I was lucky enough to keep my VERY old Superchips programmer and use it to clear the code. The code is P0089. I've tried adding more fuel additives and I adjusted my liftpump slightly, still f**king comes up:banghead This FPR has gotten on my last nerve, it never really bothered me till now. Why all of the sudden has it decided to annoy me every morning!? Any suggestions on fixing this??:help:help

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I hate to ask the obvious question, but why haven't you just gotten another one?

Other than that, Ive seen that code alot on gassers. Normally the fuel pump is going out (on them), or filter. I'm pretty sure that's the code I got on my truck when i put on this new fuel filter once. The O Ring was bad.

The bottom line, it could just be that it is becoming easier to pop a code over time. Or you could have an incr/dcr in fuel. Either way, just get a new reg and be done with it. I may know were one is for cheap if you wont me to ask.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to ask the obvious question, but why haven't you just gotten another one?

Other than that, Ive seen that code alot on gassers. Normally the fuel pump is going out (on them), or filter. I'm pretty sure that's the code I got on my truck when i put on this new fuel filter once. The O Ring was bad.

The bottom line, it could just be that it is becoming easier to pop a code over time. Or you could have an incr/dcr in fuel. Either way, just get a new reg and be done with it. I may know were one is for cheap if you wont me to ask.
how hard is it to replace a FPR?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
It does not look all that hard to do.

I should have done it when I had mine down putting injectors in, but was to lazy and did not order one:banghead Now I need to, as mine is surging bad, and setting "storing" the P0089 code, just not illuminating the CEL light like yours.

You can try this to see if it will keep you from at least setting the light. I read about it on another forum. It would be worth a try "clear the code first" until you get a new FPR:drink

If you turn the tow/haul mode on as soon as you start and leave it until the engine warm's to operating temp then turn it off the light will not turn on. As you raise engine rpm the commanded and the actual are very close to one another.

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
its easy to change
Kyle also told Beech it was easy to replace the down pipe and Beech was ready to shoot the truck.

And Kyle is a smurf, they can get in closer.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Kyle also told Beech it was easy to replace the down pipe and Beech was ready to shoot the truck.

And Kyle is a smurf, they can get in closer.
no i didnt tell him it was easy..he texted me before and i told him it was a PITA and i would help him if he needed it. i told him the spot where he was it is really easy :D

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
no i didnt tell him it was easy..he texted me before and i told him it was a PITA and i would help him if he needed it. i told him the spot where he was it is really easy :D
Easy killer, I know you smurf have a wizard or something.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
IRRC is on the injection pump in the vally of the engine

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
Its easy as long as you don't mind working in tight spaces. Get an assortment of different lengths of t-25 torques, the LB7's definitely aren't the most fun to get to.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Its easy as long as you don't mind working in tight spaces. Get an assortment of different lengths of t-25 torques, the LB7's definitely aren't the most fun to get to.
that is what I hear, replacement is much easier said than done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Worst part was how sore I got kneeling on the fan shroud taking off 100 components to get to the little bugger. And then having no truck to get me to Can Tire to buy some ridiculous one time use torx bits.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I vote for Kyle's new name to be Gargamel!!!!!!:Admin Power Use it!!! :rof

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
its easy to change
Kyle are you freaking high???? The FPR is a royal PITA and you have to have extreme patients. Plus the right tools, I failed the first time I tried it got the best of me and i had to drown away my anger in a bottle.

Yeah the right tools are key for this job.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Here is a pic, but some stuff has already been removed. I will see if I can find a better:drink

1 - 20 of 36 Posts