Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering doing airbox mods to my daily driver / tow vehicle.
I downloaded PPE's instructions for this.
Questions, is it worth doing for a truck that's not going to pull or race?
If I did it, will it suck too much debris and water into the filter without the centrifical effect of the "diffuser" fan looking thing?

Just got the truck a month ago and I hate to carve it up with out knowing the side effects.
I just installed a Magnaflow turbo-back 4" cat-delete and edge evo tuner w/ EGT.
Loving the power, not seeing the mileage I'd like even when I'm nice to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did it just before i got my efi live and didn't notice a difference, but I don't have any numbers on a dyno to compare. I don't see how it can hurt besides letting a little more debris into the intake. I think it is unnecessary unless you are running a pretty big hp tune.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Do it, flows considerablely more air and helps drop intake air temp.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I got two Nays, one Yay. I think I'll hold off for now, winter is coming so towing and hard use will be minimal anyway till spring.
I just orderred the EGR blocker / fingerstick and PCV reroute fittings from All Seasons. After everything I've read here and the pictures I've seen of crud-filled intakess; I can hardly sleep at night knowing that crud is being sent into my engine.

Thanks for all the good posts and opinions here. I've been on a Duramax crash course for the last month since I got my '07 LBZ.
I do not miss my F350 lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did mine 4 years ago, never had an issue and filters wear at the same rate as before. The only thing you are doing is allowing more air in, don't see any harm there. Much cheaper than doing an aftermarket which really won't accomplish anything more. As for debris there isn't more debris in mine, looks the same as when it was stock honestly and the Donaldson filters keep all the junk out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i did mine when i boughit my truck n it help drop egts n some milage during the summer. i would do it if you dont want to do cai

·
Banned
5,738 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never had any issues and I drive around in hurricanes.
That's why I love this forum. Real-world feedback!

That was my primary concern, Hurricanes in Iowa....I mean downpours. Now the vote is swinging in the Yays favor.
Ok, I think I'll go for it next week when I do the EGR blocker and PCV reroute.

I griped a little in my first message on this thread about my mileage being crappy, After installing the 4" Magnaflow (cat delete) and trying SERIOUSLY to keep my right foot smooth and in control I'm seeing some real difference on the $meter. Nothing calculated yet, but I'm and 1/8 tank up from usual on my regular route.

Thanks all for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have a banks ram air kit no problems, just make sure in the winter remove the snorkel that comes out under the bumper cause if you hit a snow bank it will plug up with snow.easy to remove and put on. with out the ram air and air intake kit the egts would get to 1500 by the time i would hit 69 mph now round 81 mph big differance in power keeping the egt below 1500 for 69-71 about .4 sec in a quarter mile.Should of looked at my egt when drive down the road but didn't look at that differance should but i know it has to make it lower.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I'm considering doing airbox mods to my daily driver / tow vehicle.
I downloaded PPE's instructions for this.
Questions, is it worth doing for a truck that's not going to pull or race?
If I did it, will it suck too much debris and water into the filter without the centrifical effect of the "diffuser" fan looking thing?

Just got the truck a month ago and I hate to carve it up with out knowing the side effects.
I just installed a Magnaflow turbo-back 4" cat-delete and edge evo tuner w/ EGT.
Loving the power, not seeing the mileage I'd like even when I'm nice to it.
I have a banks ram air kit no problems, just make sure in the winter remove the snorkel that comes out under the bumper cause if you hit a snow bank it will plug up with snow.easy to remove and put on. with out the ram air and air intake kit the egts would get to 1500 by the time i would hit 69 mph now round 81 mph big differance in power keeping the egt below 1500 for 69-71 about .4 sec in a quarter mile.Should of looked at my egt when drive down the road but didn't look at that differance should but i know it has to make it lower

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have a banks ram air kit no problems, just make sure in the winter remove the snorkel that comes out under the bumper cause if you hit a snow bank it will plug up with snow.easy to remove and put on. with out the ram air and air intake kit the egts would get to 1500 by the time i would hit 69 mph now round 81 mph big differance in power keeping the egt below 1500 for 69-71 about .4 sec in a quarter mile.Should of looked at my egt when drive down the road but didn't look at that differance should but i know it has to make it lower

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
If your second guessing doing it I have my stock LBZ intake with the PPE airbox mod done to it I would sell then you will have a spare. Problem solved!

·
Registered
772 Posts
im pretty sure he already did it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts