Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time lurker, finally posting.

I bought my '09 in '10 outta Texas with 15k miles on it, bone stock. I now have 90k miles on it and still running on original brakes, (pads, rotors, everything. never serviced). My question is; does this seem impossibly rare for factory brakes? Wondering if the old guy who had the truck new ahead of me put some high-end pads on it or if the OE pads are just that good? I tow a bit, 7000lb trailer through mounting passes and use the exhaust brake when I can. I'm getting set to do a complete brake service, new everything w/ fluid. Was looking at ACDelco OE but open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance! :grin2:

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
OE pads are just that good
This^
If you don't tow heavy on a regular basis, others have reported going over 200k miles on the OE pads.

Change/flush your brake fluid yearly and you'll run trouble free for years, if not the life of the truck, never having to replace a caliper or Master.

Side Note;
HDs wear the rear pads quicker than the fronts (jack-knife control), so don't look at the fronts as an indicator of wear. Always check the rears for life left.

And if you ever do have to replace the pads, don't go and bite on the glam of aftermarket claims. Source the OE (not OEM) pads from Rock....more expensive ($100/axle), but in this case, you get what you pay for.

Registered
I had 174,000 on my 2007 2500. Had original brakes, rotors etc.. even towed a 5th wheel for over 25,000 miles. Brakes are the best !!

Registered
Hey guys, long time lurker, finally posting.

I bought my '09 in '10 outta Texas with 15k miles on it, bone stock. I now have 90k miles on it and still running on original brakes, (pads, rotors, everything. never serviced). My question is; does this seem impossibly rare for factory brakes? Wondering if the old guy who had the truck new ahead of me put some high-end pads on it or if the OE pads are just that good? I tow a bit, 7000lb trailer through mounting passes and use the exhaust brake when I can. I'm getting set to do a complete brake service, new everything w/ fluid. Was looking at ACDelco OE but open to suggestions.

Its not unheard of to get 80-100K out of the OEM pads and rotors, its good stuff, and unless you have a serious need for something different, is probably your best bet to put back on if you need to replace them. I went over 100K on mine and still had bad left, only reason they went was the rotors were warped from nearly hitting a moose, and may as well replace the pads while your in there.

I replaced with non OE pads and got about 40K out of them before they were worn to the point of making noise.

The life of the pads is heavily determined by how you drive though, so if you drive with 2 feet in an automatic truck, your pad life is probably poor, if you drive like a gas truck and use the brakes every chance you get to slow down, your life will be good, and if you let the engine do some of the braking for you, they will last longer. They are good pads, but the rate of wear is based on your feet.

Registered
I now have 90k miles on it and still running on original brakes, (pads, rotors, everything. never serviced). My question is; does this seem impossibly rare for factory brakes?

Hardly rare, I'd say.

I just pulled the factory rear pads off mine at about 280k. Fronts were replaced a little sooner for another issue.

Registered
114K still o/ e brakes

Premium Member
My last lml was still on all original brakes at 190k and my lml now is at 108k miles and haven't touched a thing on the suspension or brakes. Good stuff

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Registered
185K on my LML before changing pads. Had some good meat left still but was rebuilding the front end so I replaced them......with OEM pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts