Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a new Class V Curt hitch for my truck and the one I am looking at says, "For Trucks with the Factory Cutout Bumper Only". Now this may be a dumb question but what is that and how do I tell if my truck has it? Thanks.

Premium Member
That refers to the stock OEM bumper. That receiver hitch hangs lower and will bolt up to the bumper like the stock OEM (a.k.a. POS) receiver hitch does.

The Curt #15512/15521 (LB/SB) Class-V version mounts higher (2"), tucks further back under the bumper and does not bolt up to it like the OEM hitch does.

Registered
I bought the Curt 15602... It does bolt up to the bumper like the OEM hitch. I like it a lot!!! 18,000lbs The receiver part does sit up higher than the stock one did. I like it that way though. Looks great and night and day difference in durability!!!

Received a Hummer
Check out Bigchevyhitch.com Custom made and as strong as it gets....literally.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The Curt 15512 is the one that I'm looking at. Is that a good hitch or is it one of the POS hitches that you are referring to? The most I'll ever tow will probably be right around or under 10K lbs and this is my work truck so I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of $$$.

Premium Member
The 15512 is the old 'Putnam XDR' 15K receiver, now made by Curt...excellent hitch, that's what I'm running...now on it's 2nd truck. :thumb The POS is in reference to the stock lightweight Suburban hitch that GM put on the HD trucks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok thanks, makes me feel better because I can get a good deal on the hitch and was hoping it was a good one. Is it easy to install? Does it bolt right up or will I have to alter or fab something up to make it work?

Premium Member
20 minute job, bolts right up. The hardest part will be lifting it up and in place...much heavier than the stock hitch.

You'll need to add a 7-pin door mount for the harness to plug into, utilizing an 'L' bracket mounted to the underside of the bumper, as the stock hitch has it welded on to it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, looks like I'll be getting the hitch tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts