Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the edge evo race installed on my truck. It has been great until recently. I installed an audio amp in my truck and ran the power wire, for the amp, through the same hole in the fire wall as the EGT probe wire. Now when I start the truck the EGT's read over 1700 and the alarm goes off. After the truck is running for a few minutes the EGT's will read normal. Could the power wire be effecting the EGT readings, or do I have another problem? Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If that cable is drawing a ton of voltage and current then it may be exciting that wire through mutual induction. So yes that wire is probably the cause of the false signal. Disconnect the amp cable and see if it fixes the problem. Your Amplifier is probably drawing a lot of current when the truck starts up to charge the capacitors. I'm not 100% on this but the inductions thing is pretty likely.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I know when wiring a house (110v) and communication lines( tele, cable, even thermostat wires) you try to keep them seperate because of interference. crossing at a 90 angle is ok, but when ran parrallel there could be problems.
sounds like it could be your problem.

·
Registered
212 Posts
take the EGT cable and wrap it around the power cable a few times under the hood as it comes into the cab, this will help cancel out the noise and get it to read correctly again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to try and wrap them together. Will let you know if that works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts