Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a lot of folks are stuck at home, thought that I would start a thread to share with the group here the names of famous people/celebrities that you have personally met and talked to.

Prior to the COVID-19 fiasco, I traveled a lot all over the world. And, in my travels have met some pretty interesting folks. Here are some of the more famous folks that I have met and actually got to spend some time with some of these guys.

Chris Chandler (Former Falcons QB)
Jerry Rice
Emmitt Smith
Shannon Sharpe
Mike Shanahan
Dan Rather
John Schneider (Bo Duke/Dukes of Hazzard)
John McCain
Peter Fonda (Actually spent a day riding Harleys with him. Great guy. RIP)
John Kay (Steppenwolf)
Johnny Van Zant (Lynard Skynyrd)
All of the Oak Ridge Boys

These are some of the more famous guys that I have met. Post your meetings with celebrities/famous folks.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Jimmy. In my mind a celebrity is someone I really like. So living in Jacksonville for 20 year I was fortunate to go to the Gatonationals ALOT. Lol. I got to meet all of my hero’s and then some:
John Force and all of the crew.
Kenny and Brandon
Jerry Toliver
Eddie and Ersie Hill
Darrell Gwynn
Warren Johnson

Non NHRA:

Jimmy Smith. Jaguar
Kenan McCardel. Jaguars

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Bob. I have to admit I looked up Tom. I am sorry you lost your friend. I told my wife in my lifetime a lot of people I liked and looked up to will pass before me.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,060 Posts
Jimmy interesting thread.

Bill Cosby at a HOUSTON Aeros Hockey game in the 70s

JJ Watt, Chester Pitts, Chris Meyers, Brian Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, Dan Pastorini, Earl Campbell ,

Sec State James Baker, Mitt Romney, Ted Cruz , George W Bush, Gene Green, Sheila Jackson-Lee, Al Green,

Toby Keith, Kenny Loggins,

Rob O’Neil, Leroy Petry, Marcus Luttrell,

Arnold Palmer, Fuzzy Zoeller, Lee Trevino, Ben Crenshaw, Tom Kite, David Eger, Curtis Strange, Jim Nantz,Johnny Miller, Bernhardt Langer,

Yao Ming, Ron Artest, Aaron Brooks, Clyde Drexler, Shane Battier, Luis Scola, Kevin McHale, David Robinson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charles, there are many on your list that I would like to meet.

Would really love to sit down and have a beer with Marcus Luttrell.

What a great American.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,060 Posts
I enjoyed meeting/talking with him but Rob ONeil was actually more interesting to me. I met them at separate times. My jaw hit the floor when RO admitted he shot UBL in the face about 6 months before it became public. Marcus comes off as a bad ass, which he definitely is, but RO looks like a normal 5’10” red headed dude from Montana. Scary mofo. A definite wolf in sheep’s clothing.

It was his team that went to get Luttrell and it was his team that whacked the Somali pirates on the Bainbridge. Over 400 missions without a lost man.

You mean you don’t want to have a beer with Sheila Jackson-Lee?? Lol

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never walked up to any celebrity I've seen, but I did sing a very short duet with Loretta Lynn off the coast of Beirut in Dec 83 when she came on board for a USO show. That is by far my high light for meeting a celebrity, let alone singing part of a Christmas carol with her.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,060 Posts
Jimmy interesting thread.

Bill Cosby at a HOUSTON Aeros Hockey game in the 70s

JJ Watt, Chester Pitts, Chris Meyers, Brian Cushing, Jonathan Joseph, Dan Pastorini, Earl Campbell ,

Sec State James Baker, Mitt Romney, Ted Cruz , George W Bush, Gene Green, Sheila Jackson-Lee, Al Green,

Toby Keith, Kenny Loggins,

Rob O’Neil, Leroy Petry, Marcus Luttrell,

Arnold Palmer, Fuzzy Zoeller, Lee Trevino, Ben Crenshaw, Tom Kite, David Eger, Curtis Strange, Jim Nantz,Johnny Miller, Bernhardt Langer,

Yao Ming, Ron Artest, Aaron Brooks, Clyde Drexler, Shane Battier, Luis Scola, Kevin McHale, David Robinson

Oh and I forgot. Mike Eruzione from the 1980 Olympic hockey team. I was hangin out at the bar at a Palm Springs hotel and I look up and I’m like, I recognize you! He was a super cool dude.

And the killer himself OJ Simpson. That one calls for a bit of a back story. I’m on a Southwest Airlines flight from Houston to San Antonio for an over and back business meeting with one of my sales guys. It’s 9 am and OJ is on the plane on the port side 2 rows ahead of me and I’m on the starboard side, with some bleach blond trailer trash chick and they are both hammered at 9am. This was before he was arrested in Vegas but after his acquittal. Half the people on the plane were disgusted and the other half star struck. When someone entering at the exit door said “ Hey OJ what are you doing in Texas?” And he said “ don’t you know that all my exes live in Texas”. I spoke up very loudly and said “ did you dig up Nicole Brown Simpson and bring her with you?” He looked at me like he wanted to cut my throat and I thought we might be getting into a scuffle when my sales guy pulled me back. All he could think of was he was going to lose the $4M sale because his boss got into a fight with OJ on the plane....

Funny but true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great story about OJ. What a POS.

Speaking of airplanes, that is how I met Chandler. We ended up being seat mates in first class on a flight out of Reno to Atlanta. I was coming home from a business conference in Reno, he was going home from the American Celebrity Golf Tournament in Lake Tahoe. Nice guy, kinda quiet though.

While on a business trip to Atlanta that lasted 10 days, met John S. in the hotel bar one evening. We hung out together each night for a week and actually played a round of golf together. Another great guy and very non-pretentious. He tells interesting stories about how some major Hollywood stars have had their careers ruined once it became public knowledge that they were conservatives, including him. He and I still stay in touch, just have not had the opportunity to share another cocktail during out respective travels.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jimmy Smith. Jaguar
Kenan McCardel. Jaguars
Speaking of Jaguars, forgot to mention Fred Taylor. Was sitting at the bar at PJ Changs here in Jax one day for lunch when this guy taps me on the shoulder and asks if he can sit next to me. It was Freddy T. What an incredible guy. This was my first experience in being around an NFL star in a very public location and was amazed at the buzz that it caused when folks realized that he was in the restaurant. Fred was incredibly generous as folks continuously interrupted his lunch for autographs, photo ops or just to shoot the breeze. I asked him if it bothered him that he couldn't finish his lunch to which he replied; Hell no, I enjoy it! Besides, it comes with the territory.

At the time, my wife was getting ready to retire and she was and still is a huge Fred fan. During our lunch, I asked him if he would be willing to sign a Jags helmet for her as a retirement gift to which he agreed and would take care of it. We swapped phone numbers and a week later I get a call from the Jags to tell me that I had a gift that I needed to come of the stadium to pick up. Turns out that Fred not only signed a helmet for her, he had it placed into a plexi-glass/collectors item container with the Jags emblem embossed on the case. Neither he nor the Jags would hear anything of me paying for the gift. She was thrilled to get the gift.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
You know every year Jimmy and Kenan would through a Christmas party for the children who had nothing. Some pros are great people.

Reactions: JimmyD

·
Finally! Wheels on!
9,060 Posts
Yes. Some are because their agents tell the they need to be and some are because they have a big hearts. JJ Watt is one of the latter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Met Teddy Gentry from the band Alabama at a South Poll cattle convention/auction that I went to with my Dad years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The first was Spiro Agnew.
I have had the privilege of jimmying the door of Jay Leno's rental van when one of the crew guys locked the keys inside. With Jay what you see on the TV is what you get in person.
Greg Creamer, race announcer
Katherine Legge
Wayne, Rickie, and Jordon Taylor
Max Angelelli
Johnny O'Connell
And a whole host of some of the other biggest names in motorsports while working in the Tech Shed, Race control, as a race marshal, picking them and their bikes up off the track taking them back to the paddock in my gator/trailer, and registration.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts