Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum, new to diesels. Have a question about my 05 Duramax. When the fan clutch kicks on it feels like half the hp is just gone. Seems to randomly kick on whenever it wants. Dealer says its normal. Ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know what you mean. It's most noticable for me when the truck is fully "warmed-up," the outside temps are over 100, and the a/c on. Getting the truck moving from a stop the fan fully engages and begins to really roar taking loads of power away.

I think this happens because of insufficient air flow through the radiator when stopped which causes temps to rise quickly and in turn causes the fan to fully engage when the rpm is increased to begin moving again. The engine compartment is now very hot and the turbo is "inhaling" less dense hot air for further loss of power. And now you have, "feels like half the hp is just gone." Is it normal? hmmm. I think it is to be expected from the design. :cookoo

What are the outside temps like in your area?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i dont know who makes them for sure for the chevies, but an electric fan set up, temp switch controlled, will add HP and actually make the cooling system more efficient. i would expect them to run 3-700 bucks, but in a hot climate i think it would be well worth it!!!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
The lly Has a Known overheating problem in a small % of trucks a few guys are working on cures but gm denies it has a problem untill then keep bugging your dealer and keep an eye on your temps!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Outside temps are in the 90-100 range. Climbing the Grapevine at 75mph with 2 jet skies it just would not turn off. Edge Attitude said coolant temp was 192. Sounds cool enough to me! I wouldn;t be worried until 210-220. Am I wrong here? My buddies cummins doesn't kick on until he is over 210 I think, and even then he rarely sees it come on. Do I have a weird truck? Is there a reflash for it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is the GM fan electric over mechanical like the ford 6.0 fan?? if it is, you could have a bad electric portion of the fan clutch, and even if its mechanical the clutch could be bad.....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I thin k we are going to try out the Flexalite electric fans on his truck. The darned thing is in the hills all day long anyhow, free up some power and mileage for him. Going to try it on his new LBZ too, I think! I smell a tech write up coming . . . . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.