Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
i've always used an air hammer with the belt still on and tap it off real quick to get it to bust loose. Or put a wrench on it and hit the wrench with a hammer.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
i've always used an air hammer with the belt still on and tap it off real quick to get it to bust loose. Or put a wrench on it and hit the wrench with a hammer.
This the way I've done it also. Put the chisel on the left side of the nut and give a quick blast. It'll loosen up in a couple seconds.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do you keep the fan from spinning, the belt? what about torquing it back on?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Yes leave the belt on, as far as install just spin it on and either tap it again with the air hammer or use a wrench and snug it up, it will tighten as it spins

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you have the air hammer already buy the fan clutch kit, It has the correct size attachment for any fan hub.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought a big handle from Snap-On for holding fan pulleys, it grabs the bolts heads and prevents the pulley from turning. Then put a wrench on the fan nut and smack it "wrench" with a hammer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the $30 fly wheel holder which came with the correct socket. it will be easier this time around. $30 should save some swear words. t minus 5 days until operation head job!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts