Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research on fuel borne catalyst additives and would like to hear feedback from others who use Better Diesel or Max Mileage from Pittsburgh Power. They appear to be the same product. They're $220 a gallon which treats 3200 gallons of fuel, so less than 7 cents per gallon of fuel treated.

The claim is that the additive allows soot to be burnt at a lower temperature thereby sending less soot to the DPF which extends regen intervals and results in less ash load on the filter, too.

All that is fine and dandy but I'm more interested in hearing about engine performance gains, i.e. runs quieter, more power and especially increased fuel mileage. Most big truck guys report up to about a 0.5mpg increase but I'd really like to hear from some pickup guys, if some of you are using it. It wouldn't take much gain for it to pay for itself.

I mentioned 2 products specifically because I'd really like to hear about them but feedback on similar products is also welcome.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been using this stuff www.enerburninc.com/test-results/ with good results. When I got my Denali (used 13k miles) it would only regen down to 7 grams, upon using this product my regens go all the way to 0 grams. A little expensive but it works.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't help you with the performance claims but I am very happy with the results of using enerburninc.com. A friend driving a 2.8 canyon diesel is also using it. We both saw an immediate drop in frequency and duration for regenerations. For me, I tend to regenerate around 550 miles between cycles. If I can keep the vehicle over about 70 mph during a regeneration it is often over in 12 or 13 miles. That is almost half of what it was before I tried this. When i am pulling a trailer, I reduce the dose a little but have never noticed a regeneration and I watch that closely. I won't say I have not missed one but they are certainly rare.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't heard of Enerburn but upon checking out their website it appears to be a similar product to the ones I mentioned, a catalyst anyway. I noticed they claim a 9-12% fuel mileage increase which is fairly strong, I would say. If you actually get that much increase in mileage, it probably pays for itself and then some, not to mention reduced and quicker regens. It did strike me as a little peculiar that they said it may take 400-500 miles to realize benefits of the product. Maybe that's full benefits?

Anyway, good feedback. Thanks all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ran some calculations to see how much fuel I was saving on the reduced regenerations. I do not think I've seen anything close to 10 or 12% savings and mileage overall. when I was researching this I found a lot more useful information on the big truck forums and discussions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Direct purchase is $220 / gallon or $29 / 16 oz. I can also get it at the local truck stop. I think it's maybe $235 per gallon. I prefer having at least one of the 16 oz containers. It makes mixing a lot easier since it allows for measurement. A little bit goes a long way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wondering if one can use this and Stanadyne or does this lube the diesel pump like Stanadyne also?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have always pre-mixed my additive packs before I fuel up which includes the FBC. I don't specifically use stanadyne but no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Their is a company up here called Pittsburgh Power which is consider on of the premier semi truck engine upgrade shop. Anyway based on their recommendations I start using Milage Max catalyst. Before adding Additive my truck would regeneration every 200 miles of city driving and 400 miles of highway drive.
After the first dose ( which is real small amount) I make nearly 400 miles in the city and 600 miles of high driving before regenerations.

I have to add that be able to keep track regenerations cycles is on of the favorite thing about the edge gauges.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good feedback. Yes Max Mileage by Pittsburgh Power is one of the products mentioned in my original post. The positive effects on emissions systems seem to be pretty consistent. However, fuel economy improvements seem to be a bit more inconsistent on big trucks so I'm looking for fuel economy numbers from pickup truck guys. Doesn't even have to be a Dmax. Ford or Dodge numbers are welcome, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What I do is use the little 16 ounce bottle of Stanadyne and add Catalyst to it. Makes it easy to carry in the truck for when I buy fuel. The bottle has measurement on it for, so I can mix what I need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good feedback. Yes Max Mileage by Pittsburgh Power is one of the products mentioned in my original post. The positive effects on emissions systems seem to be pretty consistent. However, fuel economy improvements seem to be a bit more inconsistent on big trucks so I'm looking for fuel economy numbers from pickup truck guys. Doesn't even have to be a Dmax. Ford or Dodge numbers are welcome, too.
The reason for additive is more to lubricant the injectors and injector pump , I would not expect mileage gains.

But I do check every tank by hand, and I can say for sure everytime I fill up and the truck has not done any regenerations my mileage jump 1 to 2 MPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts