Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed my truck was getting pretty warm while towing my Jeep back from Colorado last week. Every time we went up a little hill my Edge CTS would set off an alarm at 226. I hit as high as 245 and was having to slow way down to get the temps to drop. I noticed the fan was not pulling air like it should, normally its very noticeable when it engages, it's fairly loud.

When I got home I installed a new fan clutch that I bought at the dealership in Amarillo. Still was getting over 230 with the truck empty.

Then I replaced both thermostats. Still got hot when empty

After trying to figure out was happening I started ripping the truck apart. I removed the majority of the front of the truck. Removed the a/c condensor and the fan and shroud. When I leaned the radiator back, I found my problem. Tons of junk plastered to the radiator face. I have removed the radiator and took it to the car wash to clean it up. I had to leave town for work today, so maybe I'll be able to rebuild my truck some day

The stuff was over 1" thick in front of where the fan pulls air from. So this is why my fan clutch was not engaging, the hot air was not blowing against the metal coil on the clutch

Hope this helps other guys that are noticing an issue with coolant temps.

·
Registered
572 Posts
hope that fixes your problem. I know that would cause havoc on our airplanes if our coolers get blocked up the slightest.

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
Dang! Mine is not getting hot, but be a good thing to check.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i clean mine out everytime i go camping n tow the trailer.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't see it until I leaned the rad back towards the engine. That mess was between the intercooler and the radiator. The a/c condensor didn't look very dirty at all, not much on the intercooler either.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hope that fixes your problem. I know that would cause havoc on our airplanes if our coolers get blocked up the slightest.
What kind of planes? I work on Lears and Challengers, and occasionally fly little Cessnas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts