Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not ready to delete the warranty on my new 2015 3500 -- is there any sound difference between stock and say the 5" mbrp filter back? I would think no muffler has to have some effect but I'm wondering how much. TIA.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
None just looks

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The DPF and cat are the muffler lol. Filter back system is literally a piece of pipe and a tip that you clamp on AFTER the dpf. I had the magnaflow 5" on mine when I first got it. Buddy used to work in a performance shop and gave it to me to see how they look. It looked way nicer than the musket but thats all its for.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The DPF and cat are the muffler lol. Filter back system is literally a piece of pipe and a tip that you clamp on AFTER the dpf. I had the magnaflow 5" on mine when I first got it. Buddy used to work in a performance shop and gave it to me to see how they look. It looked way nicer than the musket but thats all its for.
That is correct, just like the magnaflow I put on my truck, it was for looks. But I do like it and it is quality.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The factory musket is there for a reason. It mixes cool air with the exhaust gases so that you don't light people or items on fire when the truck is in regen. Keep that in mind if you do this mod. It always worried me when my kids would walk by that thing when the truck was running. I do agree that the musket is ugly though.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The MBRP and Magnaflow kits come with a cooling tip. It has flutes cut into it so it creates the same venturi effect for the cool air to be drawn in just like the stock musket.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The MBRP and Magnaflow kits come with a cooling tip. It has flutes cut into it so it creates the same venturi effect for the cool air to be drawn in just like the stock musket.
that is correct.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Even DPF back exhaust will create warranty issues on the emissions equipment

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
lol yeah no kidding. unless you slept with the service managers wife then it should be a non issue. Like i said its literally the same thing as the stock tailpipe with a nicer tip and with the same function.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
^^^Your dealer would have to hate you in order for that to happen
I think you could fight this and win. They would have to prove it caused your rear end or front end to leak or blow up. I think this would be easy to fight. I asked the dealer and they said it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just change out the tip, it's much cheaper. I cut my musket back to where it necks down and put on a 4" inlet / 5" outlet MBRP dual walled stainless tip on. For $55 shipped you can't go wrong. So essentially I still have the venturi effect, but now it looks better.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I see now there is no "muffler" as I was used to on the lmms. I'm thinking probably just add a tip. Love the new truck, do miss the rumble of my old one.

·
Registered
445 Posts
that is correct.

I like the looks of that tip better than the FloPro on my truck. I wonder if putting that tip on a deleted truck would change the sound at all. Anybody tried it?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I like the looks of that tip better than the FloPro on my truck. I wonder if putting that tip on a deleted truck would change the sound at all. Anybody tried it?
Guy at work has one on his lml with 5" flopro. No noticeable change in sound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have MBRP 5 inch filter back with six inch tip. All for looks and makes no sound improvement. To me it's definately worth it for what change it makes to the look of the truck. Nothing is uglier than the stock musket.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I got some better pics if the magnaflow.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
have MBRP 5 inch filter back with six inch tip. All for looks and makes no sound improvement. To me it's definately worth it for what change it makes to the look of the truck. Nothing is uglier than the stock musket.
Agreed one of my first mods.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I hate that they have almost removed all of the diesel and turbo noise. Too bad you have to void your warranty to get some sound back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts