Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on 40k miles and a couple of questions related to filter intervals on my 2016 LML.

I bought my truck from a dealer that does lifetime oil and filter changes with a dedicated diesel mechanic so oil/filter is every 5k. Usually ends up around 35% on the gauge.

For the fuel filter, I planned to follow the gauge but found some conflicting information. I went ahead and did the fuel filter at 30k because honestly, I cant figure out what you are supposed to do. the manual states 22,500 miles or two years but at 30k miles and almost 3 years the gauge was at over 50%.

For the transmission, I haven't changed the spin on yet. Manual seems to refer to 45k for spin on and then a full service at 90k. I'm not towing a lot and my transmission temps are under 100 degrees most of the time. Does that seem right?

I was going to do transfer case/diffs at 50k (understood those aren't filters :))

·
Awooga, Awooga
20 Posts
I have a 2016 LML and am coming up on 40k miles myself. I stick with the recommended service interval.

Oil every 7500 miles or 1 year (although I am about to install a bypass)

Fuel filter every 22,500 or 2 years (not willing to risk getting contaminants or moisture into my fuel rail).

I would normally do external trans filter every 45000 miles but I plan on installing a gold plug, so I will also drain all transmission fluid and refill.

I’m doing Diffs and transfer case early to install gold plugs as well.

As for your statement about fuel filter, the percentage only tracks the mileage, so at 2 years, regardless of the percentage, I change mine out... I’m thinking someone either replaced yours before or may have reset the life remaining percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
On my LMM, I simply follow the DIC.

As it works out on my truck, the fuel filter needs to be changed every other oil and filter change. Did a complete flush and filter change on the tranny at 50k due to heavy towing with the camper.

So far, so good.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
but found some conflicting information
Different uses, different % outcomes....can't really judge life based on mileage.

Gallons used would be a better factor for intervals (3k?)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 15 LML and do the following filter services:

Fuel: Every other oil change (approx. 10K-15K miles) Was directed to do so by local shops, and no I do not have them do it or buy my filters from them.
Oil: Once a year or every 6K-7K (Usually for me the once a year comes before the mileage and I also run Full Synthetic)
Trans Spin On: Every other oil change (I mainly tow with it and a $10 filter on amazon is cheap insurance)

Some people may think i am crazy, but if you look around you can find these filters for a total cost of about $60 which IMO is very cheap insurance.

Reactions: BOWTIE67

·
Registered
74 Posts
Filters are cheap. For me and my truck:

Oil @ 5,000
Fuel @ 10,000
External Tranny @ 15,000

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Most likely

....still waiting....if I wasted my money....
Filtration is but one aspect of engine oil life.

As well as ROI $$.
Ask yourself,
"what have I saved by spending 2x$$ for more media area (acDelco comparison), vs spending 1/2 as much $$ on a more porous synthetic media filter (no kit needed) that holds just as much (particulates) and has better absolute filtration specs?"
:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
One certain way is to send your oil off for analysis, I have sent oil off to Black Stone Labs for my previous 5.3L Tahoe and was pleased with the results, they advised I could go upwards to 10k on my M1 oil changes... may also consider sending it a sample of the 2500's after and oil change or two...

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW, I put a magnet on the side of my oil filter to help trap any iron particles...

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
FWIW, I put a magnet on the side of my oil filter to help trap any iron particles...
Have you ever cut open a used filter after running the Magnet wrap?
Always curious if they were worth the price.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
One certain way is to send your oil off for analysis, I have sent oil off to Black Stone Labs for my previous 5.3L Tahoe and was pleased with the results, they advised I could go upwards to 10k on my M1 oil changes... may also consider sending it a sample of the 2500's after and oil change or two...
If your please with your results, why continue waisting $$$$ 'dunno; take the money spent/wasted and put it towards servicing or take your better half out to dinner.
Sure now you can go up to 10k then do another suggested analysis to see if you can go another 5k, and they will suggest that, it ain’t their vehicle.

It was suggested to me yrs ago by the lab my company uses if you have good results, then don’t continue spending money every oil change and multiple times during one oil change.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
My UOA kits are included with my syn oil purchase. :howdy

·
Registered
7,286 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Still leery when they say to run it another 5k miles.

My DIC% running syn/towing daily, is just under 10k (9700-9900) to 0%.
I don't panic, keep runnin' 'til I have time to change it....sometimes that's 11-12k miles.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
:surprise:
1R-1807 24µm
M1-303 18µm

'dunno;

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you ever cut open a used filter after running the Magnet wrap?
Always curious if they were worth the price.
Always wanted to but never did cut one open... I use the rare earth magnets obtained from the guts of hard-drives, so no specialty magnet. The idea was more of a well it can't hurt.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
M1-303 is a "special request" item in some stores.
Walk in to any WallyWorld anywhere, it's on the shelf.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts