Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was finally able to get my diesel truck. I didn’t want to blow the bank so I went older this first time and got a 05 duramax long bed. It has 177k miles and motor is completely stock.

I’ve read up on the different models and problems until I got dizzy so I do know about potential head gasket issues. Knock on wood this one so far has no sign of that. Any other issues I should look for?

I want to add a few things but had some questions. Did a search on some and found some good info but it seemed pretty old, not sure if anything might have changed.

Exhaust, 4 or 5” and if going straight pipe are the $250 MBRP brands on eBay good?

Cold air intake, HSP has good looking set up but is it worth the money?

Tuner, would a tuner be needed right away with intake and exhaust?

I was looking at a used FASS 150 lift pump as it seems that will greatly help my injectors life.

Friend recommended a coolant filtration system to add on? I have no experience with this type of system.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I have a LB7 I went with a FASS Titanium, a 5" exhaust, and a Fleece airhorn. I left my stock box because I already have a K&N and there good for 500hp on the stock boxes. NO TUNES in mine but I do have a Insight CTS2. FASS is really picky about there dealers so there pretty much limited how cheap they can sell them, if you want to know the trick to save some PM me and I'll tell you how. Also I did the under hood filter delete. My next upgrade Im thinking will be a bigger turbo with bigger exhaust manifolds and pipes. Sounds like your well on your way to a money pit as myself LOL!! Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Having had a lifted LLY myself, I would also put aside some dough for front steering parts and take a close looke at that right off the bat. The pitman and idler arms, as well as inner and outer tie rod ends all take a beating with a lifted truck. Plenty online about how to beef up the steering and suspension so you're not replacing idler arms often.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a LB7 I went with a FASS Titanium, a 5" exhaust, and a Fleece airhorn. I left my stock box because I already have a K&N and there good for 500hp on the stock boxes. NO TUNES in mine but I do have a Insight CTS2. FASS is really picky about there dealers so there pretty much limited how cheap they can sell them, if you want to know the trick to save some PM me and I'll tell you how. Also I did the under hood filter delete. My next upgrade Im thinking will be a bigger turbo with bigger exhaust manifolds and pipes. Sounds like your well on your way to a money pit as myself LOL!! Good luck.
What made you go 5” over 4”? They seem to be about the same price so I’d like to do it right the first time haha

I thought the CTS2 was a tuner?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front end is all newer with the TCS suspension but I’ll still keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
No the CTS2 is a monitor you can add EFI live tunes but I didnt. I went 5" on exhaust just so i would never be tempted to go bigger. I believe its a minimal gain anyway, but I like the sound. I bought the airhorn which added some as I can feel it and see it on my MAF sensor. I dont have tunes mainly because being a guy we tend to tear stuff up and big tunes will do it to a stock truck and the 5 speed Allison is a awesome transmission but it wont take a big tune for long before it starts going to limp mode. The six speed is a bit stronger. PPE makes a nice little restrict-er that keeps the turbo waste gate closed a tad longer its a pretty cheap improvement (30.00 usually) for a stock turbo. Think Im done with pouring money in mine until the turbo is worn, then I'll go bigger pipes and turbo(nothing extreme). Tires will be in next week and will get those on as well. One other thing if your not sure about transmission service you might service it if it doesnt have the deep pan thats a great upgrade, but get some sort of maintenance schedule going on it, its so often overlooked. Im changing my filters inside and spin on as soon as weather permits, fluid Im using is Delvac I. Find it cheapest at Summit or truck stops. The upgraded tie rod ends are a must as well, I used sleeves but kryptonite ones are great but more $$. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that you have that beauty, here are a few suggestions about helping it live a LONG and productive life for you.

Just an FYI, now that you have it, before I spent money upgrading it, Id INSURE its long life by doing most of what the listed thread suggests.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/maintenance/988217-maintenance-info-suggestions-new-owners.html
Thanks! I’m going to look into the power steering cooler kit and possibly flushing both systems just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being in CA I’m finding most companies won’t ship stuff to me so I couldn’t get the s&b brand turbo inlet pipe so I got a no name brand but it was $70 vs $200 haha. Hopefully it works.

Still trying to find out if I want 4 or 5” exhaust. Been reading what I can and trying to see what differences are but everyone’s ear is different and so are their descriptions of the sounds haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts