Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here. Bought a 09 LMM Silverado a couple weeks ago, my first Duramax. Previous owner has some tunes on it with a DSP5, only info he could give me was that each tune would progressively add more power. He claimed the first one above the stock one was 500 hp and the highest one being 800. I’m pretty skeptical that’s accurate info but I’m on stock trans so I don’t wanna find out at the possible expense of a new trans should it be more than the trans can handle, but I wanna know what’s going on with my truck too... He couldn’t remeber what shop he got the tune at either which probably gives me little hope on finding out what tunes are on it. Could I plug the efi live tuner into my computer and find out though that? and if I where to wipe/ add different tunes to it where could I get info on that. I’m hesitant to mess with it but I would like the info if it can be provided.
Thanks!

· Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Start saving for a tranny rebuild now.......

Reactions: Melonhead1102

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,264 Posts
I think he means more that since the guy you bought it from doesn't know what tunes are on it or where he got them from, he was probably a fairly aloof owner and potentially hurt the trans already.

Most LMM tunes were Optimized Stock, Heavy Tow (+30 hp +/-), Light Tow (+60 HP +/-), Economy (+100 hp +/-) and Race (+150 HP +/-). The Race tune would have you sitting around 500hp in theory.

But without knowing where he got the tunes and whether or not they're junk, I'd leave it on the lowest setting until you can verify where they came from or replace them. Has the truck been deleted (EGR and DPF)?

If you're keen on getting new tunes, which I would recommend, you might have a tough time locating them in the states. The EPA has made life miserable for a lot of diesel tuners. A google search for diesel tuning from our neighbors to the north can get you started.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think he means more that since the guy you bought it from doesn't know what tunes are on it or where he got them from, he was probably a fairly aloof owner and potentially hurt the trans already.

Most LMM tunes were Optimized Stock, Heavy Tow (+30 hp +/-), Light Tow (+60 HP +/-), Economy (+100 hp +/-) and Race (+150 HP +/-). The Race tune would have you sitting around 500hp in theory.

But without knowing where he got the tunes and whether or not they're junk, I'd leave it on the lowest setting until you can verify where they came from or replace them. Has the truck been deleted (EGR and DPF)?

If you're keen on getting new tunes, which I would recommend, you might have a tough time locating them in the states. The EPA has made life miserable for a lot of diesel tuners. A google search for diesel tuning from our neighbors to the north can get you started.
The truck is fully deleted, also has intake and exhaust. I keep it on the lowest setting for the reason you mentioned, that’s also what the previous owner said he did. I’m assuming the tunes that are on it are like what you said econ, towing, hot etc... the truck doesn’t run weird or anything like that if that’s worth mentioning.

· Registered
2006 GMC Sierra 2500
7 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Bought a LBZ that has tunes from a shop that is out of business. I'm trying to find information on what all is needed to wipe the current tunes and install new ones. Clueless on what I need and how/where to get it done at.

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,264 Posts
Instead of posting a name here for you, which could be easily found by any regulatory bodies looking for information via keyword searches, please click this "Let me google that for you" link with my reply and recommendation to your posed problem:

Let Me Google That For You

There are reviews on this site for that company's products. I highly recommend them.

· Premium Member
4,156 Posts
^^Well played brother^^ (y)

Reactions: Melonhead1102
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.