Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Well I may be young (24), but for the last 14 years there has been a Duramax in the driveway. I have finally come across the funds to purchase a truck and plan on doing so as soon as I find the "one". This truck will be my baby, so if it takes me 9 months to find one, that would be appropriate.

However, I am a lover of standard transmissions and over the last few days found two ZF6 trucks within a 10 hour drive of me. Yeah, real close I know...

One is an 05 LLY ECLB 4x4 with 150k and very basic mods. Edge programmer, cat-back, and intake. Otherwise stock. Second owner.

Next is an 06 CCSB 4x4. Not sure if its the LLY tune or LBZ, but who cares...its an LBZ. 160k miles and similar mods. Turbo-back (no cat), which I would have to remove for smog here in wonderful California, tuner, and 4-inch lift with 33s. Third owner.

My perfect truck would be an LBZ, ECSB, 4x4, All Stock. If I found a truck with under 150k. I would be willing to pay a pretty penny.

Any advice?

What do you think each truck is worth?

Am I just a stupid kid for wanting a ZF6?

Should I just get an Allison?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I look forward to being a new member of the Duramax community.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
welcome friend, go with either, you will be fine.. LBZ is favorite!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you are looking for a needle in a haystack. If your are looking for a stock zf truck you might as well just add 3500 to the price. Stock clutches won't hold any power. Plus I'm sure you will be running and adding lots of goodies. Have a link to the 06? Is it a factory order? I have never seen a zf lbz vin code D truck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
As you get older, most guys care less and less about a manual. Some guys seem to stay keen on a manual, I wasn't one of them. But a friend of mine is and has your dream truck, he won't be selling it though, a 06 ECSB with ZF.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would say spring for an lbz, after having an extended cab I would seriously spring for the crew, I had extended cabs for years, the crew is where it is at! I would also opt for an auto buy that's just me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome. Sounds like you are looking for a needle in a haystack. If your are looking for a stock zf truck you might as well just add 3500 to the price. Stock clutches won't hold any power. Plus I'm sure you will be running and adding lots of goodies. Have a link to the 06? Is it a factory order? I have never seen a lbz vin code D truck.
Here is a link to both trucks. I have the VIN for the 05 and it is definitely factory ZF6. Should have the VIN for the 06 next week when the guy gets back in town.

05: RARE 2005 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6 SPD Manual 4x4

06: 06 manual duramax diesel

P.S. I am definitely not paying 24k for that LBZ and I already established that he will come down signifigantly in price.

Any more thoughts friends?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Red one if it's factory order. I only say that cause I can't see the 4x4 floor shifter. Kinda
Seems like he is hiding the cluster and all that. If it is factory and happens to have steering wheel controls it is very rare.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Welcome to DF!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Red one if it's factory order. I only say that cause I can't see the 4x4 floor shifter. Kinda
Seems like he is hiding the cluster and all that. If it is factory and happens to have steering wheel controls it is very rare.
If you are saying what I think, then no there is no such thing as a push button tcase in any zf equipped truck from factory.

And as LBZ Mike said, there was never an lbz/zf6 combo from factory its just an 06 lly which is really close enough to an lbz if you are going to mod it.

·
WOOD... man!
5,519 Posts
If time is not an issue, don't rush/don't settle! Find what you're looking for. You'll be so much happier in the long run.

However, I am a lover of standard transmissions and over the last few days found two ZF6 trucks within a 10 hour drive of me.
When I was looking for a diesel I wanted a standard transmission.
Originally looked at a Dodge 3500 CC, LB, 4wd, DRW, 6 spd.
Also looked at a King Ranch F450 4wd CC, LB, DRW but it had an automatic.
When I found the 06 Duramax CC, LB, 4wd, DRW truck and found that it had a 6 spd Allison trans... I was sold. I haven't missed having a standard trans yet.
Continue looking for a stick if that's truly what you want. But like one of the other guys mentioned, as you get older you'll find appreciation for a good strong automatic.

Next is an 06 CCSB 4x4. Not sure if its the LLY tune or LBZ, but who cares...its an LBZ. 160k miles and similar mods. Turbo-back (no cat), which I would have to remove for smog here in wonderful California, tuner, and 4-inch lift with 33s. Third owner.
Personal preference but I enjoy my LBZ Duramax (06 and 07 models... 07 you could get in the classic and new body style). Least amount of emissions to deal with. And the stock LBZ engines bumped up to 360 hp/650 ft lbs torque.
Again, just personal opinion, but if you look seriously at the 06 you showed the craigslist ad for... do a lot more research on it. Although they're willing to work with you on price and it's a good looking truck with the lift and wheel combo, they're really steep on price. Especially for a truck without leather interior and heated seats (a truck that's not loaded). Not to mention, you'll be spending a lot of cash reinstalling the exhaust emissions parts to make it CA legal.
Pictures usually make a vehicle look better than they really are. The CL ad photos don't do that truck any favors. It looks likes it's been rode pretty rough. If the engine compartment looks that rough, I can only imagine what the under-carriage looks like. And something just doesn't quite set well with me in the photos. Make sure you get a good Car Fax report on the truck before making any deals.

Just a side note: I didn't really care if my truck had leather seats but I have two Australian Shepherds and the leather really makes for much easier clean up. I also did care about heated seats but find myself using them all the time. On my Duramax, I assume like everyone else's with heated seats, you can turn off the lower seat heater and just operate the lumbar portion of the heater. I have back issues and it helps on long drives. Last year when it was still hot outside I found myself running the lumbar seat heater and the a/c at the same time. Trust me, makes for a really nice option. Not to mention... I don't know a chick out there that doesn't love seat heaters :grinn

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you are saying what I think, then no there is no such thing as a push button tcase in any zf equipped truck from factory.

And as LBZ Mike said, there was never an lbz/zf6 combo from factory its just an 06 lly which is really close enough to an lbz if you are going to mod it.
Yes I was implying that there is no such thing from factory. iPhone service, autocorrect, and bad fingers just don't type what I want sometimes.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.