Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So recently I decided to do a few modifications to my stock 2005 LLY. I did the Kennedy Diesel egr blocker package consisting of a blocker plate and a fingerstick or fingers stick ( seen both names for it), and straight piped it from the down pipe back with an MBRP 4” exhaust. The truck is from Nevada originally but a vin check showed that it has the YF5 rpo code meaning it is a California emissions truck and if I didn’t address the exhaust back-pressure issues when I straight piped it, I would probably set a dtc and get the ol check engine light. Ideally I would put a tune in the truck that would ignore this issue, but I just couldn’t afford the cost right now, so I went with the fingerstick option. I have read a lot of threads on forums where people have had a fair amount of issues with these, and now I seem to be one of them. I drove the truck after installing the plate and stick, no check engine, no leaks. Ran great. Then installed the exhaust. No issues and no lights then either. I don’t have an edge or any way to check my ecm for codes personally. I drove for a day with no problems. The next day I got a cel after two ignition cycles. Had the truck scanned at the parts store. Came up with p0101, p0103, and p0045. The first two are MAF sensor range and voltage codes. P0045 is turbo boost solenoid. The boost code was probably older and from when an intercooler boot ripped due to age and wear, as I’ve heard big boost leaks can trip this code. Cleared the codes at the store and was all good for two more ignition cycles, then cel again. This time it was just p0101. I soldered all my connections when I installed the stick and I’ve checked and rechecked for proper wiring. I’ve heard some speculation that leaking boost from where the blocker plate meets the egr cooler can trip a MAF code like what I had, and a soap check of the flange showed some tiny bubbles from the top, but it’s very minor even at higher rpms. I’ve checked all intake and turbo connections. The sensor itself looks pretty clean and solid. Since the code wasn’t there before the stick I’m leaning towards a wiring issue. I doubt it’s an issue with the stick but I may be wrong. Should I try re soldering the MAF output wire I soldered into the stick? I’ve seen others with this issue after stick installations but no resolutions or fixes. Just hoping for some tips on troubleshooting or direction on where to start probing.

2005 LLY egr blocker and fingerstick, S&B turbo mouthpiece, 4” straight piped exhaust

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well that’s a ridiculously long post and I’m sorry. Got a little carried away there. I understand the stick is “old” tech and probably not used much now. Any advice is appreciated tho.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been running EGR plate, finger stick and turbo back 4" (no cat) without issue since the rig had under 10K miles.
Never experienced limp or fault codes. I too soldered and heat shrank my stick. Is it possible you have a faulty resistor in your stick? I would start there.

Edit: Just noticed how old this thread is. I suppose I need to screen the post dates before wasting anyones time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts