Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and new to the subject. Just bought a 2007 LBZ 4x4 crew cab with a CM flatbed. My first diesel truck. Got it from an internet dealer, and I don't have all the documentation. It has a set of Firestone air bags installed, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to identify the model # of the bags and find a manual for them.

There is also an onboard compressor with the gauge and controller mounted under the dash. I've searched this forum and found some info on reccomended pressure, but I'd like to get the manuals for whatever is on this truck.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Lynyrd

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lynyrd, does you compressor kit have an air tank with it? If so, here is most likely the manual for it. If it doesn't have an air tank with it, this one is most likely the manual you'll want to use.

As far as the bag kit itself, you would have the Firestone 2250 kit. Here is a link to the online installation instructions with video clips to go along with it.

Hope this helps! And congrats on the new to you truck!

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
For the normal HD, the part number is #2250. However, if it was originally a Cab/Chassis truck before the flatbed and the OBS, it may have the narrower rear axle. If so, then it would be #2249. You can tell by the frame rails from just behind the cab; if they narrow in at that point, it's the 2249. If they're straight to the rear, it's the 2250.

As far as an owner’s manual, all you get is an install sheet with this info:

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/pdfs/RR/installation/2250.pdf

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lynyrd, does you compressor kit have an air tank with it? If so, here is most likely the manual for it. If it doesn't have an air tank with it, this one is most likely the manual you'll want to use.

As far as the bag kit itself, you would have the Firestone 2250 kit. Here is a link to the online installation instructions with video clips to go along with it.

Hope this helps! And congrats on the new to you truck!
If there is an air tank I haven't spotted it yet. The compressor is small, and its mounted under the Ranch Hand front bumper. When I use the control switch to inflate the bags, the compressor kicks on immediately with the switch so I don't see how there could be an air tank.

Hook'em Horns, (like your ID by the way) my truck is SRW but I don't know if it was originally a cab and chasis or not. The previous owner took off his high dollar aluminum faltbed and put it on his new truck. The dealer bought a brand new CM flatbed (the SK model) and put on this truck to sell it. I'll take a look at the frame tonight and see if I can spot what you told me about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the normal HD, the part number is #2250. However, if it was originally a Cab/Chassis truck before the flatbed and the OBS, it may have the narrower rear axle. If so, then it would be #2249. You can tell by the frame rails from just behind the cab; if they narrow in at that point, it's the 2249. If they're straight to the rear, it's the 2250.

As far as an owner’s manual, all you get is an install sheet with this info:

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/pdfs/RR/installation/2250.pdf
Thanks for the file. I have the straight frame, and my air bags look just like the one in the document you posted. I have the single gage controller for the pump, and I wanted to know what the max psi was supposed to be. Your file showed 100 psi max and my gage goes to 150.

Thanks again.

Lynyrd

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
You can formulate the pressure you need in relation to the load or pin weight using it’s rated limits of 100psi and 5k lbs as a base line of how much you want to supplement the stock suspension. For me, on a DRW, it’s 1psi for every 100lbs of pin weight. The SRW is more like 1psi for every 60lbs.

I’d think you’d bounce down the road like a rock if they were set at anywhere near the 100psi limit.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
It is important to always have a little air in the bags, (10-?) without a load.
No air- and the movement can wear and damage the bags.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can formulate the pressure you need in relation to the load or pin weight using it’s rated limits of 100psi and 5k lbs as a base line of how much you want to supplement the stock suspension. For me, on a DRW, it’s 1psi for every 100lbs of pin weight. The SRW is more like 1psi for every 60lbs.

I’d think you’d bounce down the road like a rock if they were set at anywhere near the 100psi limit.
Since I have the flatbed on it there will aways be more weight on the back axle than the stock pickup bed. When I first got the truck, the pressure was set at about 25lbs. It seems to ride pretty good there when empty. Yesterday I had 8 railroad ties on the bed and until I added pressure to the bags I could feel them bottoming out. Pumped them up to about 45 lbs and it rode real nice again.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts