Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

So what did you guys do about your firewall insulation doing your downpipe installs. Mine got a little torn up in a couple of places. i used a razor and cut some of the material off that pulled away from the insulation.

Do i need to worry that this could touch the downpipe?

Thanks

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
I ripped mine out, after it came loose and layed on the downpipe and turbo for months, it wont hurt nothing, either way.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
If it is torn it need to either be removed or replaced....it is no longer good once torn....ie it can catch on fire.

I removed mine when i did my turbo.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
mine never caught fire john,it was laying right on the turbo, trust me I tried to make it burn and I run the dog shit out of it. but yeah it is better to do away with it after it rips, it will look like crap and hang everywhere in a few months.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
mine never caught fire john,it was laying right on the turbo, trust me I tried to make it burn and I run the dog shit out of it. but yeah it is better to do away with it after it rips, it will look like crap and hang everywhere in a few months.
Hmmm I was guessing it was fiberglass....maybe it isn't??

The black stuff on top is fire resistant.

Either way I wouldn't run the risk of a fire.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
no, probly not a good idea, the black stuff on mine just kinda came off little by little, it might have burnt off, but the yellow stuff wouldnt burn, it turned a grayish color where it got so hot over time but wouldnt burn.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On mines its the outer layer (real thin grey or black layer) that has pealed away from the rest of the insulation. I cut away the portion at top that wouldve layed near turbo but there is still some down by the downpipe.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
just take it off and wash the firewall, it looks cleaner and youll have no worries.

·
BAD ASS LBZ that is
633 Posts
Been debating taking mine out i just dont want any more in cab noise. I like to go fast in style lol.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
it doesnt make it any louder IMO, but my truck is so fucking loud I wouldnt know. EDIT: see your mods, yours can't be quieter than mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question, I changed by lb7 cal emissions Downpipe, had to do mods to make work, changed gasket, tore off firewall mat, and now my Egt at a stop in drive climb to 4-5, everything else seems normal, cruising speed matched pyro. WOT gets to about 1000. The truck has a dsp2 but I don't know what tunes are on it, could fuel/air ratio be off? Tech at banks says everything seems normal. Any opinions?

02 lb7 cal, banks ram air intake, banks big head waste gate, banks 4" monster exhaust turbo back, 4" Downpipe, dsp2 program unknown settings. About to install wicked wheel 2.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Old thread but I'll throw this in there just in case... My insulation definitely caught fire after doing a few 4x4 launches one day so I wouldn't leave it if it's hanging anywhere close. I smelled it and was only a mile from home so I ran to my garage and got some water bottles to stop it and then ripped it out a couple hours later.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I removed mine and replaced it with some heat shielding cloth (looks sliver). Not sure exactly what it was, but we had some left over from doing an airplane's firewall so I figured it would be fine. No problems so far and it looks a lot cleaner inside the engine compartment.

There are also companies that make high temperature sound dampening mats.

Edit:

I also have a 3" downpipe so I don't have the factory heat shield on it, just regular exhaust wrap. I also don't have the heat shields on the headers, up pipes, or turbos. So far, I haven't exploded... so far...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts