Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't posted much but learned a lot from reading all the posts.

Welll just got home to Glendale AZ afetr towing my new Raptor 361 LEV from Muskegon MI....2119 miles with my 2008 2500HD crew cab standard bed. Only mods I have on the truck is firestone ride rite bags and banks cold air intake. No problems during the trip, felt back end "walk" a little during some crosswinds in OK, but not too bad. This was my first 5er pull, let alone pulling around 14K. Diesel mileage from low of 8.2 to high of 11.8, not too bad at all for all the weight. I was going to get a slider hitch, but just got a standard 20K husky. I would have to be really turned to get close to the cab. I post some pics when I get my camera unpacked.

The pic is before I installed the air springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
You're a braver sole than I. I would want to have that big a rig behind a 3/4 ton truck. I didn't look up all the numbers, but I would be you're way over the GVW of the truck with that rig sitting in the back.

Good luck

·
we live so others may die
312 Posts
You're a braver sole than I. I would want to have that big a rig behind a 3/4 ton truck. I didn't look up all the numbers, but I would be you're way over the GVW of the truck with that rig sitting in the back.

Good luck
it is behind a 3/4T....nice looking raptr, im from Muskegon too, but joined the Air Force 16 yrs ago...now in afgahnistan...i do miss MI...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Nice Raptor/Truck !!!! Post some interior pics of that 5'er ........I bet she is sweet inside ..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would consider a mdt for a 3 axle rv. Those rigs can be very heavy loaded. Just look at how little your truck looks compared to the toy hauler. Very nice RV. Enjoy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is behind a 3/4T....nice looking raptr, im from Muskegon too, but joined the Air Force 16 yrs ago...now in afgahnistan...i do miss MI...
I also joined the AF in 95...still in, stationed in Phoenix. I've been to Bagram three times back in 02, 04, and 06...what do you do? I have been going back to Muskegon every year for deer hunting...

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
I just pulled my 5er for the first time with my new truck today. She pulled like a champ. My LB7 pulled good, but nothing compared to the LMM. I will post a picture of the rig tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
That is a nice rig you have there.:drink

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Just completed 11,K+ miles towing a 10K# 5er, took over 2 months. Not as nearly heavy as what you've been pulling, but i had amost 2,000# in the bed and back seat. Nice truck and 5th wheel!

·
Registered
411 Posts

Good luck
????? Even if you meant to say ''wouldn't'' guys pull this kind of weight and then some all the time with these trucks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its not a 40' fifth wheel its a 36'. I believe he is fine with what he has. If I'm not mistaken googling it looks as if the 2500 hd 08 srw in a fifth wheel has a 16,700lbs maximum tow capacity. He would only be overweight if he maxed the trailers capcity out.

trailer specs

Dry Weight 12810lbs
GVWR N/A
Cargo Capacity 5190lbs
Hitch Weight 2795lbs
Axle Weight N/A
Exterior Height 13.33'
Exterior Length 39.58'
Exterior Width 8.50'
Interior Height N/A
Fresh Water
Black Water
Gray Water 110gal
39gal
78gal

·
Registered
355 Posts
Its not a 40' fifth wheel its a 36'. I believe he is fine with what he has. If I'm not mistaken googling it looks as if the 2500 hd 08 srw in a fifth wheel has a 16,700lbs maximum tow capacity. He would only be overweight if he maxed the trailers capcity out.

trailer specs

Dry Weight 12810lbs
GVWR N/A
Cargo Capacity 5190lbs
Hitch Weight 2795lbs
Axle Weight N/A
Exterior Height 13.33'
Exterior Length 39.58'
Exterior Width 8.50'
Interior Height N/A
Fresh Water
Black Water
Gray Water 110gal
39gal
78gal
ya but still people tow over towing capacity all the time

·
Registered
326 Posts
O I know people do and I don't think they realize what can happen legally if something goes wrong. I done a lot of reasearch a few years ago when I was looking at a 40' fifth wheel to live in full time and a truck. I only posted that because a few people in the thread were commenting he was overweight with the trailer and his truck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
ya i was looking into a 36-40 foot Toy hauler just because of the extra storage space. i still dont know if i want to because of the legal issues. Because a crash can easily happen.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Thanks for the Pics,VERY NICE !!!! What is the length of the Toy Dept. w/ramp ?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ahh I seen one HUGE problem and that was with your fridge door, I am pretty suer I counted 24 cans on that thing and to me that is an even number that you would have bought LOL.

Serriously though, I am pulling a 13K fully loaded (I am not that heavy in at around 11600 ish) with mine and I am over my GVW by about 300lbs with tongue weight and water crap in the box and passengers. I can reload my trailer and get it to about 210lbs but I do not bother. Just because the truck can pull 16700lbs you have to remember that it needs the proper ratio to achieve this and still be within the #'s. My truck too tows like a champ and I did just over 5000 kms this summer and never thought twice. If 14K is your max weight I would say you will not hit it unless you are really loaded heavy. Load it like you will travel or take your dry weight and add 400 lbs for every person traveling in the trailer, minus water. Take it to a scale if you can and weight the truck without trailer front, rear, and combined with full fuel and what ever you will toss in the back and passengers if you can. Then hitch up and do it all over again in addition to the trailer axles as well as side to side weights. It will take about 40-60mins to get all the #'s but you will know exactly what you are dealing with and how much over you are. i did this and it gave me peace of mind. Enjoy your rig and travel safe. I will see if I can find my #'s on here.

Later
Phil

1 - 20 of 38 Posts