Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 LB7 Duramax, 200k on the body, 100k on the motor, 6k on Allison tranny just rebuilt with Suncoast stage III. Full 4" exhaust, and the Edge Juice Attitude 6 stage Tuner.

So in learning about my new truck I am determined to take it easy and learn how to use the power without breaking much.
So first day out today I got on the highway and launched the truck stuck 30mph to about 80mph. getting a feel for the power, this was at stock level. great power smooth shifts loved it.

So I then switched edge Juice to stage 2 about 60hp, gain recommended tow mode using tuner. I dont really want to go much higher until I know that everything is working correctly on my truck. I repeated the same launch twice. felt dramatic increase loved it truck went smooth it was great. about 5 minutes continuing driving at a moderate level.
-EVERYTHING STARTED TO FLASH, AND BATTERY LIGHT CAME ON AND THROTTLE CHOKED OUT. THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN WHILE DRIVING ABOUT 60MPH.

I immediatly pulled the truck over put in neutral, shut it down gave it 2 minutes switched tuner back to stock stage 0. started truck back up, everything immediatly normal. waited a few minutes watched temperatures and listened to motor no smoke, drove away at stock mode another 20 miles no problems at all?

Any Ideas, of what happened, or what went wrong? Im going to over look all the wiring and make sure that tuner is connected correctly under the hood, and just check everything I can.

Any advice ideas suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks. this is officially my first post as today is my first day with my Duramax. Freaking love it already

·
Registered
70 Posts
Get rid of that Edge they're garbage. They've been known to randomly shut off the engine when you're driving on the highway.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
again, edge juice with attitude is weird on OBS

on the 06, if i turn on the headlights while driving the truck will stumble like you've described.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
:welcome to the forum!! Yes these guys are right. ditch the edge...they are known for doing that exact thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats the best way for me to swap it out financially (are there people willing to buy my edge juice?) for an equal chip. Which chip should I be throwing in? figured the stage III tranny I want to stay around 500hp range no higher correct. i definitely dont have the money to rebuild that

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, first you would have to contact edge to get your unit fixed/updated. As far as chip...depends how much you want to spend. PPE is probably one of the best canned tuner. Diablosport predator would get you by for awhile until you wanted more. As far as the tranny only being able to hold 500hp...depends on who did the build. There are a lot of factors that can influence that.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Edge Juice with Attitude is a piggyback system, which is why you can adjust the tuning levels while you're driving.

Banks' 6Gun System is very similar.

Most of the others available, including ones from Edge/PPE/Quadzilla load tunes into the computer via the OBD-II Port.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I relatively understand now. I just sold my WRX that I worked on for a while to get this duramax. It seems really sweet to have a piggy back system and the convenience of being able to change levels. Obviously unless its junk like mine and shuts down the motor. I definitely like that feature, but definitely want a reliable tuner..

·
Registered
339 Posts
i had the same exact things happen to me while going down the road truck rattled and died, stopped put it in park and it started right back up. then i put hid's on my truck and when i turn the high beams on it would kill the truck also. i sent it in and had it updated and since then it hasnt done the following, but now yesterday i blew a head gasket. im definatley not an edge fan, other the the attitude monitor for gauges they suck, at least for LB7's

·
Registered
14 Posts
what about efi live? it worked good on my truck plenty of power and had a 5 stage adjustable switch on the fly

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
Go to PPE or better yet, upgrade to the best.... EFI Live.

I have had the same Edge J/A on my truck since it was new... never had a problem. I'm upgrading to EFI Live in a few months because I'm not waiting around until I do have the problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess im going to have to make the switch to either PPE or EFI Live. my biggest thing is money right now. so ill have to look around for a deal on one, and then sell my Edge J/A. Retarded how something so expensive can just cut out your motor like that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Conclusion on the EDGE JUICE

So as far as this post is concerned the problem was Indeed the Edge Juice. Piece of S..t hahaha. sent it back to edge had it re programmed, then sold it on EBAY for $450. Thanks for all the help with everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts