Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Im sorry if this is the wrong section im a newb, so i can take some ragging on. Looking to buy my first diesel, i have an 04 Z71 extended cab right now, wife suggested we get a crew cab with the baby coming so i convinced her to let me get a diesel which ive been wanting but could never afford. I found some 05's and 06's i really like just cant decide which motor is better. I know diesels last forever from the motor standpoint its just hard to convince myself to spend around 20 on something with 100k on it. Duramax's are hard to find in my area (eastern NC) im stationed at MCAS New River in Jacksonville, NC. The ones i am finding are 05's and 06's with around 100k miles and pretty good options inside, they are priced from 19k to 24k. Just wondering if those are good prices and what i should be looking for when looking the vehicle over before buying. Im curious on what i should be feeling and listening for when test driving also. Im really good with gassers so im not completely incompetent on vehicles just very new to diesels and dont want to waste money on a "piece". Thank you in advance for any advice.

Registered
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

Registered
I bought my 06 with 107k on it about 5 months ago for $23,999. So i'm guessing those prices are pretty average for the mileage. Welcome to the board and enjoy :drink

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good thanks, ive found a few around 20k just cant decide so im gonna go take a look at them this weekend. Whats a good exhaust setup? I like loud but just something with a little more bite than stock that passes all emission crap.

Registered
Welcome to the forum

Registered
Welcome to the forum! i have the 4in mbrp, cant beat the price! im happy with it, there are many good vendors on here that will help you out with all your needs.
--Casey

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for being helpful, i know how it is dealing with newbs. i should pull the trigger on one this weekend.

Registered
Good Luck!

Hey Ass Man!
Welcome to the Forum! Yes.. you should pull the trigger on one, you won`t be disappointed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just an update, couldnt find one near me to buy this weekend the one i was looking at the dealership would not budge on price and i wasnt paying 24 for an 05 with 151k on it. So now my options have led me back to Texas (dealership i worked at before joining the Marines). They are locating 4 i picked out but my number one choice is a 4 door long bed, 05, 78k miles on it, fully loaded minus sunroof, bedliner, midnight blue with dark leather. The dealership that has it wants 22,500 for it but i got my dealership to sell it to me for 21,500 out the door. Carfax was clean on it one owner who bought it new in 05 and drove around 11k miles a year on it, Very clean. I also sold my 04 1500 this weekend for 14,500. Guy who bought it is giving me a few weeks to find me a new one since hes deployed in afghanistan he is not in a rush.

P.S. first purchase ready to go just waiting on dealership to tell me were all good is a 6 inch zone lift out the door at 1315.67 now just looking for rims and tires, do stock 16" rims work with that lift? I also and am looking for a dual exhaust setup but they are all expensive so i might wait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts