Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 02 2500HD for about 3 years now. I never daily drove with the exception of 2 months (1 in 2020, and this month). Previous owner put Bosch injectors in about 110k miles. I am currently at 155k. It is not pissing oil or anything. I unfortunately do not know diesels that well to easily identify what wire or tube goes to what. Maybe it is my paranoia/stress of buying my first house right now, but is there something going on?

I crawled under the passenger's side of the engine and found some oil coating the bottom.
Helmet Automotive tire Sleeve Textile Grey

I believe that it dripping from this tube (crankcase vent tube?). I am unsure what it is.
Automotive tire Water Textile Wood Tints and shades

I have been repeatedly told that diesels drip. Why is mine just doing it now? After some internet researching, my mind jumped to the injectors are already going bad. I pulled the dipstick; and when I got my nose really close to the stick, I could smell a hint of diesel. It was not overpowering. Is that normal or a sign of bad things? There is no performance difference that I have noticed. The truck has not acted strangely. Ultimately, I am over-thinking this? If it is a simple fix, what is it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is the draft tube, nothing to worry about, I ran a piece of hose over mine so it didn't get on the wiring, is there some absorbent or something wedged up around the steering damper? If it is, take it out, and add this area to the cleaning schedule, a little water will keep the oil from attracting dirt. The diesel in oil, not good, you can check by putting some oil on a paper towel from the dipstick and see if you have fuel spreading out and the halo. If it has been a while since an oil change, wouldn't hurt to change it, and check your balance rates to see how they look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, today was a bad day. Towing stuff to my new house and oil pressure went down to 25-30psi on the highway and struggled at the 1 stop light... apparently I was pissing oil for the last 10-15 minutes. Engine and transmission temps were fine. Dipstick smelled like diesel. Oil all over the underside. Frustrating because the truck was bone dry on the underside and the injectors are 30k miles old... new house=broken truck. Urgh. Getting towed on Monday

1 - 3 of 3 Posts