Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, going to change gear oil in F&R diff's. How many Qts do the hold and what do you think about Amsoil gear oil? I drive it pretty EZ, pull a camper (8,000 LBS) a couple times a year.
2008 GMC 2500HD LMM
Thanks for any help.
Joe:help

·
Registered
91 Posts
A little less than 4 quarts in the rear and a little less than two quarts in the front. i did the rear but got caught by the weather and haven't gotten under the truck to finish the front. Amsoil is what I put in, it is good stuff. 75-90 is what I used.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
If you are going to the front and rear dif...might as well to the transfer case too since you will be right there.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
doesn't the transfer case use ATF?

·
Registered
505 Posts
is there an additive that needs to be added to the rear?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
No additive for the rear. We have a locker not a limited slip, so we don't need it :)

The t-case calls for ATF from the factory, but a lot of guys run synthetic 5w30 motor oil and say it operates quieter and smoother than with ATF. Fill it til it's full from the fill plug, then pull out the speed sensor and add an extra quart from the top for best results :)

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
No additive for the rear. We have a locker not a limited slip, so we don't need it :)

The t-case calls for ATF from the factory, but a lot of guys run synthetic 5w30 motor oil and say it operates quieter and smoother than with ATF. Fill it til it's full from the fill plug, then pull out the speed sensor and add an extra quart from the top for best results :)
yep what he said.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just did all of this on Friday and it was pretty easy. As already said the rear takes a little less than 4 quarts and the front took a little less than 2 quarts. I used AMSOIL 75w-90 in mine. I also did my transfer case and I am glad I did. I drained less than 1 quart and it is supposed to have 2 quarts in it. I went with Amsoil low viscocity ATF in the transfer case. Get the hand pump from Amsoil also, it will make things a lot easier!!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I just did all of this on Friday and it was pretty easy. As already said the rear takes a little less than 4 quarts and the front took a little less than 2 quarts. I used AMSOIL 75w-90 in mine. I also did my transfer case and I am glad I did. I drained less than 1 quart and it is supposed to have 2 quarts in it. I went with Amsoil low viscocity ATF in the transfer case. Get the hand pump from Amsoil also, it will make things a lot easier!!
yeah something about the stock fluid in the xfer case evaporates decently quick....

god i need to do mine so bad.....ahve everything to do just been busy working on the parts in box still list

1 - 9 of 9 Posts