Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 04 LB7 almost 2 weeks ago and I figure I need to go ahead and do some maintenance on it since I don't really know the truck's history. It has 218k on it. I figure I'll go ahead and do the oil/filter, fuel filter, and air filter (I checked it and its pretty dirty/old). Anything else I should look at on this thing?

I'm new to the diesel world but not the modified gas world, so just wasn't sure if there is anything "extra" to look at on these beast.

Thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would do a double drain and fill on the trans if the fluid isnt to bright. Change the internal and external filter. DO NOT flush it.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Check brake fluid and see if its black. If it is you should think about changing it. Power Steering flush kit is probably needed.

If you have no maint records at all then you probably need to change all fluids so you can start your maint program fresh. Rear end, Front end (if 4x4) Transfer Case (if 4x4). All filters air, trans spin-on, oil, fuel.

We can help you with very competitive pricing on any and all of it. Call us and lets get you going at the least amount of cash out of your pocket. :thumb

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would do a double drain and fill on the trans if the fluid isnt to bright. Change the internal and external filter. DO NOT flush it.
I just changed my internal and external trans filter ... now I'm planning to flush it. I know its a bit of a waste of fluid ... any reason I shouldn't flush it??

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've heard it can be bad for the tranny. Double drain and fill is the recommended procedure. If you already had the pan off it would have been a good time to do it. How did the fluid look?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check brake fluid and see if its black. If it is you should think about changing it. Power Steering flush kit is probably needed.

If you have no maint records at all then you probably need to change all fluids so you can start your maint program fresh. Rear end, Front end (if 4x4) Transfer Case (if 4x4). All filters air, trans spin-on, oil, fuel.

We can help you with very competitive pricing on any and all of it. Call us and lets get you going at the least amount of cash out of your pocket. :thumb
I just looked y'all up and I'll definitely be hitting you up for some filters. I did the oil yesterday as I just wanted to get it done and for once had time to get stuff done, threw a WIX filter on it and Rotella T (next time I'll be using Amsoil). I plan on getting the CAT fuel filter adapter as it pays for itself by the second filter change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts