Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I just bought an 03 lb7 crewcab last week and am wondering what you guys would suggest as the first mods to do to it, I was thinking along the lines of a cheap programmer and exhaust. Any suggestions on brands? I dont know a whole lot about the diesel world but so far i'm already enjoying it! Thanks and look forward to ur feedback. also if anyone knows anything for cheap to do to it i'm all ears... not lookin to make no crazy 1000 horsepower drivetrain just want it to move well and still get decent mpgs!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Get ahold of Meyer performance once you've figured out what you want.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Husker Diesel sells an exhaust, probably cheapest you can find. May want to check there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Husker Diesel sells an exhaust, probably cheapest you can find. May want to check there.
As far as exhaust i'm not lookin for real cheap i want somethin that will sound good and last awhile. I've been looking at the 4" MBRP setups those seem to sound good. I just mentioned the cheap things cuz i know on my firebird you could do simple things like removing this tube called a whisper lid and other lil things i could do just to get those extra few hp, maybe someones figured out little things like that on these

·
Registered
897 Posts
Pipe is pipe, unless you want T409 stainless, which you don't need, huskers kit will last every minute as long as MBRP aluminized kit.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
if you just want cheap exhaust got to your local exhaust shop and have them cut your muffler and bend/weld pipe back in its place.

cost you ~$40- $80 depending

its gonna sound JUST the same as a $400 kit :D

as far as upgrades go, what are you looking to do with your truck?

Daily driver, racing, pulling, etc...

skip the cheap programmer, it will just give headaches.

get a pretuned ECM for one of the EFI vendors.

it will give you mileage increases as well as better tow options and power , when you want it :D

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Look into cheese swiss air box mod.
Ported Intake horn.
I'd suggest just go with a muffler delete unless you plan on going for a bigger turbo or twins. Save your $$ and put it towards a tranny build, Wish I would have...

Stock exhaust w/ muffler delete and Cheese swiss air box mod you should be fine to hit close to 500HP.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Also a PPE boost increase valve and some gauges wouldn't hurt a bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm lookin to make it a nice D.D. getting good MPG's while still having the power to run some cars down on the weekends and tow a camper every couple weekends in the summer. Right now its stock and im getting around 18-21 city driving and like 25-27 on the freeway. If i could get a few more MPG's and some more horsepower it'd be nice. I dont want it to smoke much though... My neighbors already hate it when i fire it up before sunrise everyday lol idk how they'd feel about it dumpin soot around here too. if i could get 4-500 HP and increase my torque by 1-200 ft. lbs i'd be really happy!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also... do you guys know what the biggest tire u can run on a stock size truck is without rubbing?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Are those mpg s hand calculated or coming off your dash display??? I'd recheck them by hand. Guys aspire to mileage like that. It'd be tough to get better than those #'s

·
Registered
510 Posts
I doubt its actually getting that kind of mileage, those numbers are fantastic by anyones standards.

like said before, check it hand calculated

·
Registered
379 Posts
PPE makes a great tuner if you dont want to go EFI LIVE route...

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Depending on your budget I can suggest some ideas for you. You're pretty restricted by the power holding capabilities of your tranny so I'd look into a good quality tuner before all out power.

Feel free to shoot me a message if I can help with pricing or ideas or anything :)

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well my DIC is reading 19 as of right now and that mostly city driving... highway is more of a rough guess from the road trip i took it on over the weekend but I didnt go through near as much gas as my buddy in his 2011 silverado 1500 with a 6.2 in it

·
Registered
63 Posts
efi live, 5" exhaust, ppe boost valve

·
Registered
510 Posts
Jesse will hook you up, talk to him (gr8shot)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright thanks guys i appreciate the info

1 - 20 of 26 Posts