Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. Got a 06 LBZ. Its got around 35,000 on it. This is the first diesel truck we have owned. What kind of oil do you guys recommend? How much does it hold? What brand of filter do you recommend? When should the tranny fluid be replaced? Anything else that should be done? Also, another question. My dad is new to diesel. I tried explaining to him how the turbo works. Can anyone put it in simple words WHAT the turbo does and HOW it works. Or give me a link to how it works. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run Delvac 15W 40 in the Tahoe and Rotella syn 5W-40 in the Dmax. I am using an Amsoil EAO52 oil filter, AC Delco filters are fine as well.

Change your Allison spin on-at each oil change. The tranny fluid change interval I believe varies by how hard you use it, check your owner's manual.

Don't forget to lube the front end. There are 11 zerks in all.

The turbo takes advantage of the energy available in the expanding exhaust to spin a compressor and pressurize the charge air. This provides for more oxygen in the charge and allows for more fuel to be burned = more power.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts