Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When are people doing their first oil change? A friend that is a combustion engineer recommended that I should change it at 1k. Is that too soon or is there a reason I wouldn't want to do that?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going to change it between 1200 and 1500. Just because its good to get the break in oil out. Ill do it again at 5K.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2 cents.
As long as you do not have any modifications to your engine...
The oil life monitor on the Duramax has been Thoroughly engineered. I would trust the oil life percentage on your driver information center.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my thinking, they spent alot of money to engineer that. I was just wondering if it was a good idea to get the break in oil out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel sooo very bad for not changing my oil like I was doing in my gasser. The monitor says I still have 20% life left at 7800 miles. Had talked to some GM shop guys and the shop foreman at a good dealership here and I asked him about the monitor. They were/are having trucks coming in with 9500 miles on them for their first change. For me this works out to about 250 engine hours I would think. It still scares me but that's what was recommended to me by 3 different people..if they're wrong though I'll not be happy.

Some storyline here:

I work at a heavy construction company where we sample all of our oils on our equipment (think million dollar machines) and have it sent out to an oil analysis lab. They check all the additive levels, debris, dirt, soot, elements (Fe, Ag, Pb, etc) that is in the oil and suggest an action based on these levels. Now I know how these machines are run...hard and in dirty, muddy, dusty conditions 100% of the time. We change engine oils at 250 hours, transmissions at 500 (filters at 250 for transmissions), and that's in harsh conditions, these are CAT engines though. We do the same with our excavators, which are also Isuzu engines and actually are our cleanest samples so I hope my Dmax is the same!

Also, I already have my oil in the back of the truck for the change, and I'll probably do it in another week or two and I'm definately going to send it in for a sample and cut open the filter as I'm definately intrigued to see what's in there. I'll let you guys know how the sample looks after a change at ~ 9000 miles and what I find in the filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Built 2200 engines per day (gassers), ran 4 per day 20 hours up to 100% duty cycle (really hard for the last 4 hours WOT) and tore them down.

My opinion after looking at many engines over the years. The best thing you can do is leave the break in oil for the first 5,000 or so miles.

Before spending years at an engine plant I always changed at 1,000 now I recommend 5,000.

As for shavings in the engine....the block, head, camshaft cleaning systems used in automotive now are very good. You should never see a speck of machining material in an engine. The filters on these cleaners were 10 microns.

·
Registered
37 Posts
.. if you have no modifications to your engine, believe the oil life monitor. It works well. Save your money and the environment.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Way i figure..... If the truck says 70% oil life remaining and something f's up-it is GMs problem!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Duramax guy, somewhat! The oil life monitor is a good indication but the most important thing youcan do for your engine and the enviroment is run good oil to extend drain intervals and sample the oil before you change it like, 07 Dirty Max, is saying! The big waste is people changing they're oil every 5K! 10 -12 quarts of oil is alot of waste, 2 or 3 times a year compared to using good oil, extending the drain interval, sampling and changing only the filter every 5K!
I've been doing filter changes and samples on all my buddies D-Max's, a few have over 25K on the same oil and the samples are still coming back good! I've also caught a few Ford PSD's, though sampling, with fuel in the oil, early enough where it didn't wash down the engine, only having to replace injectors and glowplugs, big savings and insurance for the cost of a $20 sample kit!
Run good oil and you won't have any problems, bottom line, IMO! See the Amsoil dealer on here for more info on the best oil on the market!

Cheerz

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's cool to see guys actually taking the environment into account on this forum, plus it just makes economic sense. The whole 3k mile oil change interval is nothing more than consumer fraud perpetuated by Jiffy Lube. Engineers design things to work properly and advertising executives design ad campaigns to steal your money!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah changing the oil tomorrow. I have over 9000 miles on the break in oil and it says 10% oil life left actually. Turns out it's pretty close to 250 hours on the engine for the interval, which is an average we end up using at work for our heavy equipment. I'd maybe leave the oil in for a bit longer but I'm a bit leary and this weekend is actually open so it's happening. I'll have oil filter results by tomorrow night and oil samples back maybe by mid-week. Dropping in the Amsoil low-ash CJ-4 and filter.

Cost for oil, filter, case of cetane boost, diesel concentrate and a T-shirt ran me $250.00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys are mentioning using good oil. What are some good brand oils to use? I have 3500 miles on my 2007.5 LMM and have had the PPE chip and the AFE intake on it ever since 500 miles. I think I am going to do it around 4000 miles but was just curious on some good oil for the duramax LMM. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm also using Amsoil CJ-4 5W-40 diesel oil. I did take a sample a day before changing it but I haven't received the results back yet. I didn't get a chance to open up the filter unfortunately but I'll post the results of the sample when it comes back.

One nice thing about the Amsoil is they have that little warranty stating that an otherwise "good" (no leaks, doesn't burn oil, etc) engine using their oil is warranted against failure caused by lubrication. If something/engine does fail and it is deemed to be a lubrication issue within the 40,000km/1 year interval on a "good" engine they will replace your component/engine. Although I don't know of anyone actually having a problem and having to look for a warrantly claim from Amsoil.

40,000km ~ 25,000 miles

Not a professional opinion or anything, just what I'm using. 15W-40 is what GM recommends, however the 5W-40 is also recommended for temps below 0 degrees F and -18 degrees C and has no harmful effects.

I haven't done any significant research on other oils so..that's all I've got!

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I personally go 5-10K between and when I drain my oil I mix it with wood shavings and use it as fire starter. one packed coffee can and put wood on top and youll have a nice warm garage in about 20 mins.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
AMSOIL Is The Best and most Experienced Company In Synthetic Lubrication.

We offer the best product, at the best price throughout the entire market, with the most cost effective change intervals.

When used in conjunction with their synthetic filters and oil analysis program, AMSOIL Warrants their fluids and filters for up to 25K miles, 40K Kilometers or one year, and even longer if the oil analysis says to go further.

PM, or Email me for more information about also paying Wholesale for everything we sell. As always, YOU pay what I pay!!!! No More EVER!!!

Check out the All In One Logistics LLC Section for more information about just about anything you need to know about AMSOIL

God Bless

chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts