Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 2500HD pickup. The 7 wire plug to the blower resistor/relay module burned up the 5th wire (E) and the terminal is gone. I discovered that the E pin is a ground wire, and that it is common with the black wire leading to the blower motor.
Now, you can by a new plug & pigtail from the dealer for like $90, but in my case i would need the module as well, since one of the pins snapped off.
The heck with that. Here's what I did, works great.

Note: This worked for my truck, but you might want to double check the wiring diagram for your truck to make sure it is the same. You can also check the (E) wire in the harness to make sure it is a ground wire, it should have continuity with the chassis. If this is the damaged terminal or pin, this should work well.

1) strip about 3/4" insulation off the black wire leading to the blower motor. Do NOT cut the wire, you need to back feed the ground to the module as well as to the blower motor.
2) Cut a 24" piece of 10 or 12 gage flexible wire, black or green would be good.
3) Strip both ends of the wire. Wrap one end around the stripped portion of the black wire leading to the blower motor. Solder the two wires together, and wrap connection with electrical tape. You need a good connection, that won't get hot.
4) Connect other end to good ground on body. I crimped a ring terminal to the end of the wire, then used a self drilling/tapping screw to attach the wire to the metal body. I removed the footwell cover, and installed the screw on the upright near the door opening.
5) reinstall module if removed, plug in blower motor and 7 pin connector to module. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
other GM vehicles

I had a similar problem with my wife's trailer blazer, this fix would have worked for this truck as well. This will probably work for many GM vehicles, but do your homework before attempting, make sure the wire in question is a ground wire.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just had to replace mine as the 12 volt positive prong on my plug was melting, giving me a burning smell when the fan was on high. I ordered the new wire harness and wired it in and replaced the module while I was at it. Part's totaled almost exactly $100 from the dealer. Your idea sounds good for those that want to save some money however for $100 I think I'd rather just fix it the proper way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem is, the new plug and module pin will probably fail over time. I asked the dealer if the plug/module had been changed or improved, and they said no, for what its worth. This problem should have a recall from GM, but what are you going to do? I'd rather spend $100 on other things, for sure.
Bryan

·
Registered
278 Posts
The only problem is, the new plug and module pin will probably fail over time. I asked the dealer if the plug/module had been changed or improved, and they said no, for what its worth. This problem should have a recall from GM, but what are you going to do? I'd rather spend $100 on other things, for sure.
Bryan[/QUOTE

However this fix only works if it is the ground that was melting. On mine it was the 12 Volt part of the plug.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, didn't catch the 12v part. Having to fix this problem is ridiculous in the first place. I guess when someone's truck catches fire, maybe GM will issue a recall, or something.

My only real complaints with this truck, are the crappy heater module plug, and the fact that all the dash lights have burnt out, and can't be replaced without replacing all the switches and stuff. Specifically, the DIC switches on the steering wheel have all lost their lights after 3 years, and you have to buy the entire switch to fix the light. Crazy. The radio lights have also gone out, plus some of the other switch lights.
A suggestion to others, don't run your dash lights at full brightness! They should last longer if they're a little dimmer....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry, didn't catch the 12v part. Having to fix this problem is ridiculous in the first place. I guess when someone's truck catches fire, maybe GM will issue a recall, or something.

My only real complaints with this truck, are the crappy heater module plug, and the fact that all the dash lights have burnt out, and can't be replaced without replacing all the switches and stuff. Specifically, the DIC switches on the steering wheel have all lost their lights after 3 years, and you have to buy the entire switch to fix the light. Crazy. The radio lights have also gone out, plus some of the other switch lights.
A suggestion to others, don't run your dash lights at full brightness! They should last longer if they're a little dimmer....
I just bought my truck and the speedometer wasn't accurate and would vary in accuracy. I did a google search and found the TSB for the faulty gauge cluster and GM gave extended warranty coverage for 7 years or 70,000 and mine only had 62k so the whole instrument cluster was replaced free, parts and labor :) The heater module plug sucks but nothings perfect, and was a cheap fix so I don't think it's a big deal. I specifically was looking for a Base truck so don't have the steering wheel lights to worry about and I installed an aftermarket pioneer head unit so don't have to worry about those lights either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.