Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im concerned the rubber hose that is crimped onto the steel line may start deteriorating soon. Has anybody ever considered swapping out the braided section of fuel line at the end of the steel lines coming up from the tank by cutting them and flaring the end of the steel line.? An plumbing it directly into the fuel filter housing with a 8AN fitting? I was wondering if anybody has ever tried flaring the tubes off the fuel filter housing? That seems like the problem.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
If your are thinking of using hard lines all of the way you should reconsider. The engine may not seem to move much but it does some times and if a motor mount goes bad it can move 6 inches. You don't want the engine to move and rip out your fuel lines because there is no flex in them.

Flaring steel lines takes a pretty good tool. You will need a double flare which is much harder to do than a single flare. There is no real pressure here. It is vacuum unless you have a lift pump.

Common practice is to remove the braided line and replace it with ordinary bulk fuel hose rated for bio-diesel. Simple hose clamps will do the job of sealing everything. This isn't a highly stressed bit of hose.

If you search the aftermarket you will find people who sell replacements for this that are extra fancy. You can find braided stainless, various colors and other options but it really isn't needed except to show off to your buddies. Just get the right hose from your local parts store and be done with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh damm... I didnt even think about using just plain clamps on the steel line from the tank. And then clamps are still fine on the other end too. I'm a dumbass sometimes. Lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts